[5.7.030] Question about "set titlestring"

  • Peter Fales
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2001
      Environ: OS: Linux and solaris; terminal: rxvt; $TERM=xterm;
      program: vim-5.7.030 -X11

      According to "help set", vim does not set window titles when compiled
      with -X11, but this default behavior can be changed using "set title".
      That works, except that I get a blank title until I use "set
      titlestring". According to the help info, there should already
      be a default titlestring and "set titlestring" should not be needed.
      Is the documentation wrong, or is this a bug that needs to be fixed?

      --
      Peter Fales
      psfales@...
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2001
        Peter Fales wrote:

        > Environ: OS: Linux and solaris; terminal: rxvt; $TERM=xterm;
        > program: vim-5.7.030 -X11
        >
        > According to "help set", vim does not set window titles when compiled
        > with -X11, but this default behavior can be changed using "set title".
        > That works, except that I get a blank title until I use "set
        > titlestring". According to the help info, there should already
        > be a default titlestring and "set titlestring" should not be needed.
        > Is the documentation wrong, or is this a bug that needs to be fixed?

        I don't see this. As soon as I set 'title' I get a window title.
        Could this be because you use an rxvt while calling it "xterm"? rxvt isn't
        that xterm-compatible.

        29. Your phone bill comes to your doorstep in a box.

      • Peter Fales
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2001
          Thanks for the quick response. My comments:

          Where does the default titlestring come from? Is it possible that you
          have a "set titlestring" either in your personal .vimrc or the system-wide
          file? We have a system-wide file that has slowly evolved over time. As
          near as I can tell, there is no 'standard' file that is provided with
          vim. Ours is partly based on the vimrc_example file, but that file doesn't
          include a set titlestring. If it works for you and it's not coming
          from the vimrc file, then it must be getting set in the code. However, it's
          not obvious to me where this happens. Do you know?

          I ran my test using both (real) xterm and rxvt. Both behave the same
          way. When vim is started, the window title is not changed. But, as soon
          as I do "set title" the label turns blank (unless I also do a "set
          titlestring")

          Also, is the version of vim you are using for your test compiled with -X11?

          Thanks again for your help.

          --
          Peter Fales Lucent Technologies, Room 5B-408
          N9IYJ 2000 N Naperville Rd PO Box 3033

          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2001
            Peter Fales wrote:

            > Where does the default titlestring come from? Is it possible that you
            > have a "set titlestring" either in your personal .vimrc or the system-wide
            > file? We have a system-wide file that has slowly evolved over time. As
            > near as I can tell, there is no 'standard' file that is provided with
            > vim. Ours is partly based on the vimrc_example file, but that file doesn't
            > include a set titlestring. If it works for you and it's not coming
            > from the vimrc file, then it must be getting set in the code. However, it's
            > not obvious to me where this happens. Do you know?

            When 'titlestring' is empty, Vim uses a default way to make the title.

            > I ran my test using both (real) xterm and rxvt. Both behave the same
            > way. When vim is started, the window title is not changed. But, as soon
            > as I do "set title" the label turns blank (unless I also do a "set
            > titlestring")

            I don't know what I did last time, but now I can reproduce the problem.
            It's a simple bug in maketitle(). This patch should fix it:

            *** buffer.c~ Tue Apr 24 10:16:54 2001
            --- buffer.c Wed May 2 11:11:37 2001
            ***************
            *** 2041,2046 ****
            --- 2041,2047 ----
            t_str += STRLEN(t_str);
            }
            *t_str = NUL;
            + t_str = buf;
            }
            }
            mustset = ti_change(t_str, &lasttitle);

            35. Your husband tells you he's had the beard for 2 months.