Utterly bizarre crash when using vim -O

  • Vince Negri
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2001
      I stumbled across this by accident, and at first assumed
      my random hacking had broken something, so I just built from
      virgin source...

      I'm hoping someone can reproduce this..

      1) System: Windows NT SP 6, with MS VC++6 SP4.
      2) Sources: Vim60ad pristine sources and runtimes.
      3) _vimrc used: empty file (so starts up in
      "nocp" mode but with no syntax)

      4) build: win32 console, non-debug
      (nmake -f make_mvc.mak)

      Command line used:

      vim -O foo1.c foo1.c.orig

      in an 80x50 cmd.exe window.

      Result: access violation after loading second file.
      Just-in-time debugging indicates
      memory corruption with a 'wp' pointer pointing to garbage -
      the linked list of windows has been trashed.

      vim -o with these two files also causes a crash.

      This doesn't happen with two arbitrary files, which is why
      I attach the two concerned.

      Here's the bizarre bit: if I make the _vimrc contain the
      single line "syntax on" instead of being empty, no crash!

      <<foo1.c.orig>> <<foo1.c>>

      foo1.c and foo1.c.orig can both be loaded individually ok.

      --
      Vince Negri (vnegri@...)
      Application Solutions Ltd. Tel:+44(0)1273-476608 Fax:+44(0)1273-478888

    • Dan Sharp
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2001
        At 05:06 PM 5/1/2001 +0100, Vince Negri wrote:
        >I'm hoping someone can reproduce this..

        I can reproduce it on Win2k SP1 with MS VC++6 SP5. I did "nmake -f
        Make_mvc.mak" on pristine sources and ran

        vim -O foo1.c foo1.c.orig

        in an 80x50 command prompt and got an application exception. Same for
        -o. I did an

        echo syn on > \vim\_vimrc

        and reran both commands, and it started up fine. I then did

        echo. > \vim\_vimrc

        and reran both commands and both caused the crash. Unfortunately, hitting
        "Cancel" to debug the application doesn't do anything, so I haven't been
        able to look in the debugger at it.

        Dan Sharp