diff, behaving differently

  • vipin aravind
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2001
      vim60ad on win32
      hello,
      vim -d file1 file2 comes up with

      an empty vertical split window

      with one line at the top.

      + +--4323 lines: vi:set ts=8 sts=4 sw=4:|+ +--4323 lines: vi:set ts=8 sts=4
      sw=4

      vipin
    • vipin aravind
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2001

        > That means your files are the same. Since Vim folds the sections of text
        > that are alike, the whole file gets folded up. Do a zo on one of the
        lines
        > to see the text of the file.

        I have an extra line

        /* hello vipin */ in one file
        vipin
      • vipin aravind
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2001
          hello all ,
          sad here without diff working.
          why it is not working, is what I don't get?
          I checked
          :h diff everything is in favor of me.
          vipin
        • Aschwin Marsman
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2001
            On Tue, 1 May 2001, Dan Sharp wrote:

            > At 06:54 PM 5/1/2001 +0530, vipin aravind wrote:
            > >vim60ad on win32
            > >hello,
            > > vim -d file1 file2 comes up with
            > >
            > >an empty vertical split window
            > >
            > >with one line at the top.
            > >
            > >+ +--4323 lines: vi:set ts=8 sts=4 sw=4:|+ +--4323 lines: vi:set ts=8 sts=4
            > >sw=4
            > >
            > >vipin
            >
            > That means your files are the same. Since Vim folds the sections of text
            > that are alike, the whole file gets folded up. Do a zo on one of the lines
            > to see the text of the file.

            It seams to puzzle more people, because they are used to other diff tools,
            can we provide a hint what to do to unfold, because that seams the most
            logical thing to do besides quiting?

            > Dan Sharp

            Kind regards,

            Aschwin Marsman
            marsman@...

            Editor of choice: vim, http://www.vim.org, currently using 6.0ae
            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 2001
              Aschwin Marsman wrote:

              > > > vim -d file1 file2 comes up with
              > > >
              > > >an empty vertical split window
              > > >
              > > >with one line at the top.
              > > >
              > > >+ +--4323 lines: vi:set ts=8 sts=4 sw=4:|+ +--4323 lines: vi:set ts=8 sts=4
              > > >sw=4
              > >
              > > That means your files are the same. Since Vim folds the sections of text
              > > that are alike, the whole file gets folded up. Do a zo on one of the
              > > lines to see the text of the file.
              >
              > It seams to puzzle more people, because they are used to other diff tools,
              > can we provide a hint what to do to unfold, because that seams the most
              > logical thing to do besides quiting?

              Other diff tools don't have folding.

              If the user really doesn't know what to do, he could exit Vim. Otherwise,
              reading the documentation on "diff" should provide enough hints that the line
              you see is a closed fold. The simplest way to open the fold is by clicking on
              the "+" in the foldcolumn. You need to learn this, but you don't need to
              remember a command name to be able to use it.

              168. You have your own domain name.