Re: 60ad: vimdiff problems

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2001
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Zdenek Sekera wrote:
      >
      > > Have the following test files:
      > [...]
      > > use:
      > >
      > > set fillchars^=diff:\
      > > hi DiffDelete ctermfg=green ctermbg=green guifg=green guibg=green
      > [...]
      > > 1. It seems to me that the last line in adiff should be blank to
      > > 'compensate' for a missing line. vimdiff should consider it
      > > as a 'deleted' line IMHO.
      >
      > This is complicated to implement, since filler lines are normally seen as part
      > of the line below it. At the end of the file there isn't a next line. You
      > can see the added line in the other file, thus the difference is clear.
      > Although cosmetically it's not really right. Is this really a problem?

      Well, yes and no. My experience with such visual tools (I'm comparing
      to xdiff, xxdiff, ...) is that very quickly you get that feeling of
      'what I see is what is right/wrong'. All other visual 'diff' tools
      I've used handle this correctly. So when I have seen it for the first
      time I took it as a problem with *my* files and couldn't
      get over it. Of course, it is cosmetics, but that's what the visual
      tools are in every case. That's why people like them (IMHO) or not.
      This vim diffing becomes an absolutely superb thing, I really like
      it, so I would vote for getting this fixed. I believe it's important
      to have the *visual* impression that all is OK, and not to be forced
      to remember 'aha vim doesn't handle this (and others do)'. Of course,
      I have no idea how difficult it is to fix it.
      Just my .02.

      > > 2. The 'green' highlighting will not work in vimdiff (in xterm)
      > > for 2 blank lines of bdiff opposite to eee... and fff... of adiff
      > > This green highlighting will, however, work in gvimdiff.
      > > Why wouldn't it work in vimdiff (xterm)? I found no
      > > mentioning of it in the doc. I'd like it to work in xterm, too.
      >
      > It does work for me. I'm using an xterm with 88 colors though. Using the
      > xterm that was distributed with Xfree86 3.3.6 also works fine (I think it has
      > 8 background colors). Could this be a problem with your xterm?

      I don't know but I am tempted to say 'yes'. I am using Xfree xterm-155,
      but not Dickey's terminfo so I suspect now my terminfo. In fact, when
      I use (i tested it) Xfree terminfo, I get it to work but only with
      t_Co=16,
      not e.g. t_Co=8, that puzzles me greatly. I'll have to take looooong
      look
      on that terminfo I have as well as the whole story of xterm. For now,
      forget this problem, I consider it mine, if I come to some other
      conclusion,
      I'll be back with it.

      Q: I am intrigued by you using 88 colors, is there a simple (few words)
      reason why? Better colors?, more flexibility (are you making lot of
      private changes to rel files and 88 colors give you something more?)
      Next Q would be 'why not 256 colors' :-)

      ---Zdenek
    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2001
        Thomas Köhler wrote:

        > Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
        > Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)

        ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm/

        ./configure --help

        ---Zdenek
      • Thomas Köhler
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2001
          On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 09:03:09AM +0200,
          Zdenek Sekera <zs@...> wrote:

          > Thomas Köhler wrote:
          > >
          > > Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
          > > Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)
          >
          > ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm/
          >
          > ./configure --help

          Nice. I'll have a look whether I need this :)

          > ---Zdenek

          CU,
          Thomas [currently attaching his VT510 terminal to his computer... uhm,
          that's a black-and-white-terminal ;-)]

          IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2001
            Zdenek Sekera wrote:

            I'll have a look into whether filler lines at the end of the file can be added
            without too much trouble.

            > Q: I am intrigued by you using 88 colors, is there a simple (few words)
            > reason why? Better colors?, more flexibility (are you making lot of
            > private changes to rel files and 88 colors give you something more?)
            > Next Q would be 'why not 256 colors' :-)

            With 88 colors there is a larger choice of background colors. Since there are
            six basic colors ( R G B C M Y ) and three shades (light, normal, dark) this
            doesn't fit in 16 colors. 88 is the next one available.

            4. Your eyeglasses have a web site burned in on them.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2001
              Thomas Koehler wrote:

              > Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
              > Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)

              Get the "standard" xterm from Thomas Dickey at:

              ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm/

              Compile with --enable-88-color. That's all. You can also compile with 256
              colors. 88 is enough for me, the light background colors are the most useful.

              --
              login: yes
              password: I don't know, please tell me