Re: 60ad: vimdiff problems

  • Thomas Köhler
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2001
      On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:40:54PM +0200,
      Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      > Zdenek Sekera wrote:
      [...]
      > > 2. The 'green' highlighting will not work in vimdiff (in xterm)
      > > for 2 blank lines of bdiff opposite to eee... and fff... of adiff
      > > This green highlighting will, however, work in gvimdiff.
      > > Why wouldn't it work in vimdiff (xterm)? I found no
      > > mentioning of it in the doc. I'd like it to work in xterm, too.
      >
      > It does work for me. I'm using an xterm with 88 colors though. Using the
      > xterm that was distributed with Xfree86 3.3.6 also works fine (I think it has
      > 8 background colors). Could this be a problem with your xterm?

      Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
      Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)

      Ciao,
      Thomas [right now working on the linux console]

      IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2001
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Zdenek Sekera wrote:
        >
        > > Have the following test files:
        > [...]
        > > use:
        > >
        > > set fillchars^=diff:\
        > > hi DiffDelete ctermfg=green ctermbg=green guifg=green guibg=green
        > [...]
        > > 1. It seems to me that the last line in adiff should be blank to
        > > 'compensate' for a missing line. vimdiff should consider it
        > > as a 'deleted' line IMHO.
        >
        > This is complicated to implement, since filler lines are normally seen as part
        > of the line below it. At the end of the file there isn't a next line. You
        > can see the added line in the other file, thus the difference is clear.
        > Although cosmetically it's not really right. Is this really a problem?

        Well, yes and no. My experience with such visual tools (I'm comparing
        to xdiff, xxdiff, ...) is that very quickly you get that feeling of
        'what I see is what is right/wrong'. All other visual 'diff' tools
        I've used handle this correctly. So when I have seen it for the first
        time I took it as a problem with *my* files and couldn't
        get over it. Of course, it is cosmetics, but that's what the visual
        tools are in every case. That's why people like them (IMHO) or not.
        This vim diffing becomes an absolutely superb thing, I really like
        it, so I would vote for getting this fixed. I believe it's important
        to have the *visual* impression that all is OK, and not to be forced
        to remember 'aha vim doesn't handle this (and others do)'. Of course,
        I have no idea how difficult it is to fix it.
        Just my .02.

        > > 2. The 'green' highlighting will not work in vimdiff (in xterm)
        > > for 2 blank lines of bdiff opposite to eee... and fff... of adiff
        > > This green highlighting will, however, work in gvimdiff.
        > > Why wouldn't it work in vimdiff (xterm)? I found no
        > > mentioning of it in the doc. I'd like it to work in xterm, too.
        >
        > It does work for me. I'm using an xterm with 88 colors though. Using the
        > xterm that was distributed with Xfree86 3.3.6 also works fine (I think it has
        > 8 background colors). Could this be a problem with your xterm?

        I don't know but I am tempted to say 'yes'. I am using Xfree xterm-155,
        but not Dickey's terminfo so I suspect now my terminfo. In fact, when
        I use (i tested it) Xfree terminfo, I get it to work but only with
        t_Co=16,
        not e.g. t_Co=8, that puzzles me greatly. I'll have to take looooong
        look
        on that terminfo I have as well as the whole story of xterm. For now,
        forget this problem, I consider it mine, if I come to some other
        conclusion,
        I'll be back with it.

        Q: I am intrigued by you using 88 colors, is there a simple (few words)
        reason why? Better colors?, more flexibility (are you making lot of
        private changes to rel files and 88 colors give you something more?)
        Next Q would be 'why not 256 colors' :-)

        ---Zdenek
      • Zdenek Sekera
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1 12:03 AM
          Thomas Köhler wrote:

          > Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
          > Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)

          ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm/

          ./configure --help

          ---Zdenek
        • Thomas Köhler
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1 1:17 AM
            On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 09:03:09AM +0200,
            Zdenek Sekera <zs@...> wrote:

            > Thomas Köhler wrote:
            > >
            > > Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
            > > Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)
            >
            > ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm/
            >
            > ./configure --help

            Nice. I'll have a look whether I need this :)

            > ---Zdenek

            CU,
            Thomas [currently attaching his VT510 terminal to his computer... uhm,
            that's a black-and-white-terminal ;-)]

            IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1 2:16 AM
              Zdenek Sekera wrote:

              I'll have a look into whether filler lines at the end of the file can be added
              without too much trouble.

              > Q: I am intrigued by you using 88 colors, is there a simple (few words)
              > reason why? Better colors?, more flexibility (are you making lot of
              > private changes to rel files and 88 colors give you something more?)
              > Next Q would be 'why not 256 colors' :-)

              With 88 colors there is a larger choice of background colors. Since there are
              six basic colors ( R G B C M Y ) and three shades (light, normal, dark) this
              doesn't fit in 16 colors. 88 is the next one available.

              4. Your eyeglasses have a web site burned in on them.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 1 2:16 AM
                Thomas Koehler wrote:

                > Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
                > Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)

                Get the "standard" xterm from Thomas Dickey at:

                ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm/

                Compile with --enable-88-color. That's all. You can also compile with 256
                colors. 88 is enough for me, the light background colors are the most useful.

                --
                login: yes
                password: I don't know, please tell me