60ad: very weird thing

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2001
      Finally I got the output of this problem which I have seen to flash by
      many times but I could never get the proof of it because, I think,
      if you type fast some following typing will get rid of it (or maybe
      it *is* a result of fast typing? I am not particularly fast in typing,
      I think, have seen more impressive guys....;-(...).
      This time it froze on me so I could get the screen copy out:

      vim z_* (gives me 3 files)

      Looking at the first one (called 'z_conf'), have just one window.
      Then, my intention is to type ':q" to get out, but when I type ':'
      the following happens:

      - screen is split in two, top window is my original 'z_conf'
      - bottom window is something I have no idea what it is, look
      below at the copy of the screen.

      ... <--- this is top window ended with my status
      line
      checking for strerror... yes
      checking for tcgetattr... yes
      checking for waitpid... yes
      checking for memmove... (cached) yes
      checking for full tgetent function... no
      checking for partial tgetent function... -ltermcap
      checking for termcap.h... no
      checking for lastlog.h... yes
      z_conf (1 of 3) (/software/src/xterm-156) cur:10/8-15,L=136,win:58/177
      1%
      : <--- command ':q' I started to type
      :~ <--- this +5 following are new lines in newly
      :~ <--- created window
      :~ <--- I think these lines *were* visible on the
      screen
      :~ <--- before I started ':q', consequently the
      window
      :~ <--- is split *somewhere*, not at the end of
      'z_conf'
      :~
      command-line ((1) of 3)[vim] (/software/src/xterm-156)
      cur:1/0,L=1,win:58/177 All
      : <--- this is I suppose also my original intended
      ':q'
      <--- which I never managed to finish typing
      <--- the 'command-line' text above is not mine

      Now: repeated :q will get rid of the bottom window, and another :q will
      quit vim (or tell me '2 more files to edit' if appropriate).

      So it appears no real damage is done to anything but it is kind of
      worrysome (to me, at least).

      Warning: impossible to reproduce on request, tried at least million
      times
      (+- a few :-)) since I've seen that for the first time at about 60aa
      (*no* guarantee....). I'm happy to catch that at least once.
      From what I remember it seems to me that number of lines in the newly
      created windows is always the same 1 (the command) + 5 of :~, I *think*.

      Very weird!

      ---Zdenek
    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2001
        Anduin Withers wrote:

        > As the output indicates that is the new vim6 command-line window.
        >
        > Try :help cmdwindow

        Gosh, I didn't know at all about this, looks like my description fits
        this
        just perfect :-)! Make it

        :h cmdwin
        :h cmdline-window

        > from the help you can see you are transposing keys to get here (in normal
        > mode q: will launch the command-line window).
        >
        > I frequently hit :Q (failure to remove my finger from the shift key) myself
        > which has the side-effect of invoking QuickComment, a function I wrote.
        > Weird when it happens but understandable.

        Oh yes, very much so! Thanks for explanation, all now fits together.
        So, in fact, I got it whenever I fumbled and typed q: rather than wanted
        :q.
        Yes, must have happened *very* many times then....:-)!

        Thanks a lot!

        ---Zdenek