60ad: vimdiff problems

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30 2:23 AM
      Have the following test files:

      ----adiff beg----
      aaaaaaaaaaaa
      bbbbbbbbbbbb
      cccccccccccc
      dddddddddddd
      eeeeeeeeeeee
      ffffffffffff
      gggggggggggg
      hhhhhhhhhhhh
      ----adiff end----

      ----bdiff beg----
      aaaaaaaaaaaa
      2 2 2 2 2 2
      5 5 5 5 5 5
      66 66 66 66
      gggggggggggg
      hhhhhhhhhhhh
      bdiff
      ----bdiff end----

      use:

      set fillchars^=diff:\
      hi DiffDelete ctermfg=green ctermbg=green guifg=green guibg=green

      in xterm:
      vimdiff adiff bdiff

      gives this:

      adiff bdiff
      aaaaaaaaaaaa | aaaaaaaaaaaa
      bbbbbbbbbbbb | 2 2 2 2 2 2
      cccccccccccc | 5 5 5 5 5 5
      dddddddddddd | 66 66 66 66
      eeeeeeeeeeee |
      ffffffffffff |
      gggggggggggg | gggggggggggg
      hhhhhhhhhhhh | hhhhhhhhhhhh
      ~ | bdiff

      1. It seems to me that the last line in adiff should be blank to
      'compensate' for a missing line. vimdiff should consider it
      as a 'deleted' line IMHO.

      2. The 'green' highlighting will not work in vimdiff (in xterm)
      for 2 blank lines of bdiff opposite to eee... and fff... of adiff
      This green highlighting will, however, work in gvimdiff.
      Why wouldn't it work in vimdiff (xterm)? I found no
      mentioning of it in the doc. I'd like it to work in xterm, too.

      --- Zdenek
    • Stephan Dittmann
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30 2:40 AM
        Zdenek Sekera wrote:

        > adiff bdiff
        > aaaaaaaaaaaa | aaaaaaaaaaaa
        > bbbbbbbbbbbb | 2 2 2 2 2 2
        > cccccccccccc | 5 5 5 5 5 5
        > dddddddddddd | 66 66 66 66
        > eeeeeeeeeeee |
        > ffffffffffff |
        > gggggggggggg | gggggggggggg
        > hhhhhhhhhhhh | hhhhhhhhhhhh
        > ~ | bdiff
        [...]
        > 2. The 'green' highlighting will not work in vimdiff (in xterm)
        > for 2 blank lines of bdiff opposite to eee... and fff... of adiff
        > This green highlighting will, however, work in gvimdiff.
        > Why wouldn't it work in vimdiff (xterm)? I found no
        > mentioning of it in the doc. I'd like it to work in xterm, too.

        I'm having the same problem with xterm. It seems that added/deleted
        lines immediately following a changed line are not properly highlighted.

        --
        Stephan
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30 4:40 AM
          Zdenek Sekera wrote:

          > Have the following test files:
          [...]
          > use:
          >
          > set fillchars^=diff:\
          > hi DiffDelete ctermfg=green ctermbg=green guifg=green guibg=green
          [...]
          > 1. It seems to me that the last line in adiff should be blank to
          > 'compensate' for a missing line. vimdiff should consider it
          > as a 'deleted' line IMHO.

          This is complicated to implement, since filler lines are normally seen as part
          of the line below it. At the end of the file there isn't a next line. You
          can see the added line in the other file, thus the difference is clear.
          Although cosmetically it's not really right. Is this really a problem?

          > 2. The 'green' highlighting will not work in vimdiff (in xterm)
          > for 2 blank lines of bdiff opposite to eee... and fff... of adiff
          > This green highlighting will, however, work in gvimdiff.
          > Why wouldn't it work in vimdiff (xterm)? I found no
          > mentioning of it in the doc. I'd like it to work in xterm, too.

          It does work for me. I'm using an xterm with 88 colors though. Using the
          xterm that was distributed with Xfree86 3.3.6 also works fine (I think it has
          8 background colors). Could this be a problem with your xterm?

          --
          The only way the average employee can speak to an executive is by taking a
          second job as a golf caddie.

        • Thomas Köhler
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30 11:21 PM
            On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 01:40:54PM +0200,
            Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
            > Zdenek Sekera wrote:
            [...]
            > > 2. The 'green' highlighting will not work in vimdiff (in xterm)
            > > for 2 blank lines of bdiff opposite to eee... and fff... of adiff
            > > This green highlighting will, however, work in gvimdiff.
            > > Why wouldn't it work in vimdiff (xterm)? I found no
            > > mentioning of it in the doc. I'd like it to work in xterm, too.
            >
            > It does work for me. I'm using an xterm with 88 colors though. Using the
            > xterm that was distributed with Xfree86 3.3.6 also works fine (I think it has
            > 8 background colors). Could this be a problem with your xterm?

            Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
            Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)

            Ciao,
            Thomas [right now working on the linux console]

            IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
          • Zdenek Sekera
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30 11:43 PM
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Zdenek Sekera wrote:
              >
              > > Have the following test files:
              > [...]
              > > use:
              > >
              > > set fillchars^=diff:\
              > > hi DiffDelete ctermfg=green ctermbg=green guifg=green guibg=green
              > [...]
              > > 1. It seems to me that the last line in adiff should be blank to
              > > 'compensate' for a missing line. vimdiff should consider it
              > > as a 'deleted' line IMHO.
              >
              > This is complicated to implement, since filler lines are normally seen as part
              > of the line below it. At the end of the file there isn't a next line. You
              > can see the added line in the other file, thus the difference is clear.
              > Although cosmetically it's not really right. Is this really a problem?

              Well, yes and no. My experience with such visual tools (I'm comparing
              to xdiff, xxdiff, ...) is that very quickly you get that feeling of
              'what I see is what is right/wrong'. All other visual 'diff' tools
              I've used handle this correctly. So when I have seen it for the first
              time I took it as a problem with *my* files and couldn't
              get over it. Of course, it is cosmetics, but that's what the visual
              tools are in every case. That's why people like them (IMHO) or not.
              This vim diffing becomes an absolutely superb thing, I really like
              it, so I would vote for getting this fixed. I believe it's important
              to have the *visual* impression that all is OK, and not to be forced
              to remember 'aha vim doesn't handle this (and others do)'. Of course,
              I have no idea how difficult it is to fix it.
              Just my .02.

              > > 2. The 'green' highlighting will not work in vimdiff (in xterm)
              > > for 2 blank lines of bdiff opposite to eee... and fff... of adiff
              > > This green highlighting will, however, work in gvimdiff.
              > > Why wouldn't it work in vimdiff (xterm)? I found no
              > > mentioning of it in the doc. I'd like it to work in xterm, too.
              >
              > It does work for me. I'm using an xterm with 88 colors though. Using the
              > xterm that was distributed with Xfree86 3.3.6 also works fine (I think it has
              > 8 background colors). Could this be a problem with your xterm?

              I don't know but I am tempted to say 'yes'. I am using Xfree xterm-155,
              but not Dickey's terminfo so I suspect now my terminfo. In fact, when
              I use (i tested it) Xfree terminfo, I get it to work but only with
              t_Co=16,
              not e.g. t_Co=8, that puzzles me greatly. I'll have to take looooong
              look
              on that terminfo I have as well as the whole story of xterm. For now,
              forget this problem, I consider it mine, if I come to some other
              conclusion,
              I'll be back with it.

              Q: I am intrigued by you using 88 colors, is there a simple (few words)
              reason why? Better colors?, more flexibility (are you making lot of
              private changes to rel files and 88 colors give you something more?)
              Next Q would be 'why not 256 colors' :-)

              ---Zdenek
            • Zdenek Sekera
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2001
                Thomas Köhler wrote:

                > Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
                > Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)

                ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm/

                ./configure --help

                ---Zdenek
              • Thomas Köhler
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2001
                  On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 09:03:09AM +0200,
                  Zdenek Sekera <zs@...> wrote:

                  > Thomas Köhler wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
                  > > Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)
                  >
                  > ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm/
                  >
                  > ./configure --help

                  Nice. I'll have a look whether I need this :)

                  > ---Zdenek

                  CU,
                  Thomas [currently attaching his VT510 terminal to his computer... uhm,
                  that's a black-and-white-terminal ;-)]

                  IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2001
                    Zdenek Sekera wrote:

                    I'll have a look into whether filler lines at the end of the file can be added
                    without too much trouble.

                    > Q: I am intrigued by you using 88 colors, is there a simple (few words)
                    > reason why? Better colors?, more flexibility (are you making lot of
                    > private changes to rel files and 88 colors give you something more?)
                    > Next Q would be 'why not 256 colors' :-)

                    With 88 colors there is a larger choice of background colors. Since there are
                    six basic colors ( R G B C M Y ) and three shades (light, normal, dark) this
                    doesn't fit in 16 colors. 88 is the next one available.

                    4. Your eyeglasses have a web site burned in on them.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2001
                      Thomas Koehler wrote:

                      > Where did you get an xterm with 88 colors? Do I need to patch something?
                      > Or is the source available for download somewhere? :-)

                      Get the "standard" xterm from Thomas Dickey at:

                      ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm/

                      Compile with --enable-88-color. That's all. You can also compile with 256
                      colors. 88 is enough for me, the light background colors are the most useful.

                      --
                      login: yes
                      password: I don't know, please tell me