RE: vim 6.00aa "effective working directory" implementation varia tion

  • Moore, Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2001
      From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
      > > Is this behaviour intended? Is there a workround?
      > > If not, I shall dig into it. It irritates me!
      >
      > I don't know of a better solution.

      I only use Vim on Windows, but I like the behaviour. I'd prefere it not to
      be "fixed"...

      Just an alternative view,
      Paul.
    • Vince Negri
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2001
        > Walter Briscoe [SMTP:wbriscoe@...] asked:
        > Thanks for the explanation. Do people use vim.exe for a "clicked" start
        > or only gvim.exe? I guess they could use vim.exe but can think of no
        > reason for doing so.

        I use vim.exe for "clicked" starts, simply because I like
        the console version (being able to shell out and remain in
        the same window, for example.)

        I'd be quite happy, though, if the directory change was only done
        (a) on a full path *and* (b) with a command-line switch, since
        I'd only have to tweak my file association settings once and
        everything would work as it did before. That would be incompatible
        with 5.7, of course.

        [For the record, I do sometimes invoke vim from the command-line
        with a full path, and the directory change behaviour is sometimes
        what I want, sometimes not. I guess I need to work on "if_brain.c".]

        Vince

      • Paul Moore
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2001
          On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:47:06 +0100 , Vince Negri <vnegri@...> wrote:

          >I'd be quite happy, though, if the directory change was only done
          >(a) on a full path *and* (b) with a command-line switch, since
          >I'd only have to tweak my file association settings once and
          >everything would work as it did before. That would be incompatible
          >with 5.7, of course.

          I tend to drag files onto my Vim icon, rather than using associations. For
          taht, a command-line switch doesn't work (unless the switch is ignored if
          there are no files after it, and even then, it's pretty clumsy).

          Paul.