Re: 6.0aa compile error (Linux)

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 4, 2001
      Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
      >Ron Aaron wrote:
      >
      >> One problem:
      >>
      >> configure --with-features=big --without-gnome
      >> make

      >> move.c:35: conflicting types for 'loff_t'
      >> /usr/include/sys/types.h:42: previous declaration of 'loff_t'
      >
      >Hmm, what else could we use then? lino_t? :-)

      I did :%s/loff_t/loff_vim_t/g

      and it compiled fine...

      >Perhaps "lineoff_t". It's a bit longer, but also clearer.

      Sounds ok to me.

      Ron
    • Vince Negri
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
        Is this available on cvs yet - or has the 'aa' confused matters?

        (Off to dl the tarball just in case...)

        --
        Vince Negri (vnegri@...)
        Application Solutions Ltd. Tel:+44(0)1273-476608 Fax:+44(0)1273-478888

      • Vince Negri
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
          On 04 Apr 2001, 20:20 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > It's.... vimdiff!
          >
          > This is a nice way to edit two or three different versions of a file.
          > Changed lines are highlighted. A change within a line is highlighted
          > differently, so that you can spot an inserted word, for example. Deleted
          > lines are highlighted in one window and filled up in the other window, so
          that
          > scroll-binding makes it possible to put the windows side-by-side and
          compare
          > the text. Folding is used to hide the text that has no changes.

          Woah! :-D

          Somebody buy this man a beer!

          The integration of folding is a neat touch - one of the reasons I've
          tended to shy away from integrated diffs in editors before is that you
          didn't the compact view you got with (say) "diff -c5" Now I can have
          the best of both worlds!

          Thanks again,

          Vince

          --
          Vince Negri (vnegri@...) The Man with no Mouse
          God is not dead, he is alive and autographing Bibles at W.H.Smith in
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
            From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
            > It's.... vimdiff!
            >
            > This is a nice way to edit two or three different versions of a file.
            > Changed lines are highlighted. A change within a line is highlighted
            > differently, so that you can spot an inserted word, for example.
            > Deleted lines are highlighted in one window and filled up in the
            > other window, so that scroll-binding makes it possible to put the
            > windows side-by-side and compare the text. Folding is used to
            > hide the text that has no changes.

            That's nice. (Although I wonder, if someone else had suggested this, you'd
            have probably said that it should be implemented as a script :-)

            One thing - when 'diff' is run on the files on Windows, it shows a console
            window with a "Press enter" prompt. This is presumably the equivalent of :!
            (but in C). Would it be possible to hide the window (which has no useful
            info in it) by doing the equivalent of :call system() instead (like the gzip
            plugin does)?

            Paul.
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
              Paul Moore wrote:

              > That's nice. (Although I wonder, if someone else had suggested this, you'd
              > have probably said that it should be implemented as a script :-)

              True. It's on the border of what should still be added to Vim 6.0. It can't
              be implemented with a script though, especially the handling of filler lines
              and scroll-binding.

              I do intend to cut down on adding new features and get 6.0 ready for a beta
              test. The todo list is getting shorter, thus we are getting closer.

              > One thing - when 'diff' is run on the files on Windows, it shows a console
              > window with a "Press enter" prompt. This is presumably the equivalent of :!
              > (but in C). Would it be possible to hide the window (which has no useful
              > info in it) by doing the equivalent of :call system() instead (like the gzip
              > plugin does)?

              Yes, it can work like ":silent !diff". Hopefully "diff" doesn't produce any
              error messages you would like to see. If it would fail to run, you end up
              with no changes (the diff output is empty). The return value of the shell
              can't be used, because "diff" returns non-zero when there are differences.

              Note that calling "patch" often produces output you need to check, thus it's
              better not to silence it.

              33. You name your children Eudora, Mozilla and Dotcom.

            • Walter Briscoe
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
                In article <200104041920.f34JKlb68785@...> of Wed, 4 Apr 2001
                21:20:47 in !vim-dev, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

                >It's.... vimdiff!

                'tis wonderful.
                I should no longer have to use my ancient MSDOS shareware editor MR-ED
                to do buffer comparisons.
                I found one glitch. I resized the screen of my telnet session from 80 to
                132 columns. The appropriate interrupt was generated but all the extra
                columns went to the right hand window rather than being evenly spread on
                the two open windows.
                You're right - the colours (and colors) are horrible. I DON'T CARE!
                This is fantastic. I put it on DOS and liked it. I put it on UNIX where
                it replaced my 6.0t. I must learn to use folding!
                --
                Walter Briscoe
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
                  Walter Briscoe wrote:

                  > I found one glitch. I resized the screen of my telnet session from 80 to
                  > 132 columns. The appropriate interrupt was generated but all the extra
                  > columns went to the right hand window rather than being evenly spread on
                  > the two open windows.

                  This was an intentional change. It's not related to the diff mode.
                  Previously, when making the Vim window smaller, and the 'equalalways' option
                  was on, small windows could get bigger. Since it's very complicated to avoid
                  this, I decided that only resizing the right and bottom window would be the
                  best solution. It's not perfect.

                  Enjoy Diffing!

                  --
                  Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

                • Zdenek Sekera
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
                    Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > The source archive was over the 1.4M floppy limit. Now also provide bzip2
                    > compressed versions of the sources and runtime archives.

                    Why not also the 'extra' files in bzip2?

                    ---Zdenek
                  • Ron Aaron
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
                      Walter Briscoe <wbriscoe@...> writes:
                      >In article <200104041920.f34JKlb68785@...> of Wed, 4 Apr 2001
                      >21:20:47 in !vim-dev, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes
                      >>
                      >>It's.... vimdiff!
                      >
                      >'tis wonderful.

                      Yes, Bram, you've outdone yourself this time!

                      >I should no longer have to use my ancient MSDOS shareware editor MR-ED
                      >to do buffer comparisons.

                      Nor I 'windiff'! And it works on unix and Windows too!

                      >You're right - the colours (and colors) are horrible. I DON'T CARE!

                      I've already changed the colors to my own ugly choices. Thanks again, Bram!

                      Ron
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
                        Zdenek Sekera wrote:

                        > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > > The source archive was over the 1.4M floppy limit. Now also provide bzip2
                        > > compressed versions of the sources and runtime archives.
                        >
                        > Why not also the 'extra' files in bzip2?

                        Two extra files. Why would I bzip2 files that are not too big? Just to save
                        a few Kbyte?

                        --
                        A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

                      • Thomas Köhler
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
                          On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 07:41:10PM +0200,
                          Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                          > Zdenek Sekera wrote:
                          >
                          > > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          > > > The source archive was over the 1.4M floppy limit. Now also provide bzip2
                          > > > compressed versions of the sources and runtime archives.
                          > >
                          > > Why not also the 'extra' files in bzip2?
                          >
                          > Two extra files. Why would I bzip2 files that are not too big? Just to save
                          > a few Kbyte?

                          for i in vim-6.0aa* ; do tar xjvf $i ; done

                          vs

                          for i in vim-6.0aa*bz2 ; do tar xjvf $i ; done ; for i in vim-6.0aa*gz ; do tar xzvf $i ; done

                          ;-)

                          CU,
                          Thomas

                          IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
                        • Zdenek Sekera
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 5, 2001
                            Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                            > Zdenek Sekera wrote:
                            >
                            > > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            > > > The source archive was over the 1.4M floppy limit. Now also provide bzip2
                            > > > compressed versions of the sources and runtime archives.
                            > >
                            > > Why not also the 'extra' files in bzip2?
                            >
                            > Two extra files. Why would I bzip2 files that are not too big? Just to save
                            > a few Kbyte?

                            No, to let people have either/or bzip2/gzip.

                            ---Zdenek
                          • Walter Briscoe
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 6, 2001
                              In article <200104051359.f35Dxi606615@...> of Thu, 5 Apr 2001
                              15:59:44 in !vim-dev, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

                              >Walter Briscoe wrote:
                              >
                              >> I found one glitch. I resized the screen of my telnet session from 80 to
                              >> 132 columns. The appropriate interrupt was generated but all the extra
                              >> columns went to the right hand window rather than being evenly spread on
                              >> the two open windows.
                              >
                              >This was an intentional change. It's not related to the diff mode.
                              >Previously, when making the Vim window smaller, and the 'equalalways' option
                              >was on, small windows could get bigger. Since it's very complicated to avoid
                              >this, I decided that only resizing the right and bottom window would be the
                              >best solution. It's not perfect.
                              >
                              >Enjoy Diffing!

                              I am! Now, as a typical user (PITA), I want a change.
                              I often have to deal with repeated code in a file produced by the
                              "cut-and-paste" brigade. I would like the diff to be relative to my
                              current position in the open windows rather than to be of the current
                              files. I read the help file and see no way of doing this.
                              i.e. The focus in the first window is on line 200 of mirage.c;
                              the focus in the second window is on line 325 of mirage.c.
                              I want the differences to be reported so that line 200 is matched
                              against line 325.
                              This behaviour would probably require a controlling option as it imposes
                              extra work on the implementation.
                              --
                              Walter Briscoe
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 6, 2001
                                Walter Briscoe wrote:

                                > I often have to deal with repeated code in a file produced by the
                                > "cut-and-paste" brigade. I would like the diff to be relative to my
                                > current position in the open windows rather than to be of the current
                                > files. I read the help file and see no way of doing this.
                                > i.e. The focus in the first window is on line 200 of mirage.c;
                                > the focus in the second window is on line 325 of mirage.c.
                                > I want the differences to be reported so that line 200 is matched
                                > against line 325.
                                > This behaviour would probably require a controlling option as it imposes
                                > extra work on the implementation.

                                You can already do it:

                                Create a new empty buffer
                                Copy the relevant text from the current buffer to the new one
                                Insert or delete enough lines to line up the text as you want
                                Set 'diff' in both buffers.

                                You can hide the new buffer and reset 'modified', so that you can get rid of
                                it anytime.

                                There is one problem: convince "diff" not to line up the wrong text. It might
                                try to insert lines to make the identical text line up instead.

                                Including this functionality inside Vim? This would require an option to say
                                "diff with the same buffer" and an option to specify the offset. It's
                                probably a bit compicated to find out what offset you need. And finding a way
                                to avoid the above mentioned "diff" problem would be complicated.

                                62. If your doorbell rings, you think hat new mail has arrived. And then
                                you're disappointed that it's only someone at the door.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 14, 2001
                                  Jens M. Felderhoff wrote:

                                  > > Perhaps "lineoff_t". It's a bit longer, but also clearer.
                                  >
                                  > As I already pointed out in a message to Aschwin Marsman (Subject
                                  > "move.c:35: conflicting types for `loff_t'"), identifiers with the
                                  > suffix "_t" are reserved for the X/Open namespace (source: XSH section
                                  > of the Single Unix Specification Version 2).
                                  >
                                  > In order to stay on the safe side I would recommend to rename loff_t
                                  > to loff_type or loff_t_vim.

                                  Vim uses several types that end in _t. So far this didn't cause much
                                  problems. Renaming them all to _type or similar make all the names a lot
                                  longer. How about using _T instead? Or does that conflict with another
                                  standard?

                                  157. You fum through a magazine, you first check to see if it has a web
                                  address.