Re: Vim crashes when help is invoked

  • Thomas Köhler
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
      Hi,

      On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 02:00:47PM -0700,
      Yegappan Lakshmanan <yega@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > If I run Vim built on SunOS 5.6 on SunOS 5.5.1 and invoke help
      > then I am getting the following exception:
      >
      > ld.so.1: /usr/local/packages/vim/vim-5.7/bin/vim: fatal: relocation
      > error: file /usr/local/packages/vim/vim-5.7/bin/vim: symbol
      > fseeko: referenced symbol not found
      > Killed
      >
      > I am getting around this problem, by building Vim on SunOS 5.5.1.
      > I am able to use this version on both Vim 5.6 and 5.5.1 without
      > any problems.

      That's why you should never run a binary built for Solaris Version X on
      a Solaris Version Y system (and usually not even vice versa): The
      libraries may be screwed up and unusuable.

      In this particular case, you've built vim on SunOS 5.6, and one of the
      libraries used on that system tells vim to use fseeko (a library
      routine, or a global variable, or something similar), but on the SunOS
      5.5.1 system, that item is not available yet and thus can't be used.

      Solution? Usually: Recompile for every platform. Once for SunOS 5.6,
      once for SunOS 5.5.1. Everything else is beging for trouble :-/

      > - Yegappan

      Ciao,
      Thomas

      IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
    • Martin [Keso] Keseg
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2001
        Thomas Köhler (jean-luc@...) wrote :

        > Hi,
        >
        > On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 02:00:47PM -0700,
        > Yegappan Lakshmanan <yega@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > If I run Vim built on SunOS 5.6 on SunOS 5.5.1 and invoke help
        > > then I am getting the following exception:
        > >
        > > ld.so.1: /usr/local/packages/vim/vim-5.7/bin/vim: fatal: relocation
        > > error: file /usr/local/packages/vim/vim-5.7/bin/vim: symbol
        > > fseeko: referenced symbol not found
        > > Killed
        > >
        > > I am getting around this problem, by building Vim on SunOS 5.5.1.
        > > I am able to use this version on both Vim 5.6 and 5.5.1 without
        > > any problems.
        >
        > That's why you should never run a binary built for Solaris Version X on
        > a Solaris Version Y system (and usually not even vice versa): The
        > libraries may be screwed up and unusuable.
        >
        > In this particular case, you've built vim on SunOS 5.6, and one of the
        > libraries used on that system tells vim to use fseeko (a library
        > routine, or a global variable, or something similar), but on the SunOS
        > 5.5.1 system, that item is not available yet and thus can't be used.
        >
        > Solution? Usually: Recompile for every platform. Once for SunOS 5.6,
        > once for SunOS 5.5.1. Everything else is beging for trouble :-/

        yes, Thomas is right, Solaris is not binary compatible from new version to old
        one, it's true if you run vim compiled on SunOS 5.5.1 on Solaris 2.6 (SunOS 2.6)

        --
        Keso
        You point, I punch!