Re: [OT] DocBook tools on Win32?

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
      Vince Negri wrote:

      > I decided recently to find out about SGML and DocBook, and unsurprisingly
      > would find it useful to have some tools that convert a DocBook file into
      > HTML/rtf/TeX whatever...
      [...]

      Bringing this into relation with Vim: I have been wondering if the on-line
      help should be written in Docbook. That would allow it to be converted into
      various formats with existing tools. Except that for producing the on-line
      help text a new filter would be required.

      This would be especially useful for the user manual, which is yet to be
      written. If a conversion from Docbook to on-line help text would be created,
      would it be a good idea to go this way?

      This has been suggested before, but the lack of conversion from Docbook to
      on-line help has been the bottleneck. So long as this doesn't exist it won't
      be possible.

      --
      Engineers will go without food and hygiene for days to solve a problem.
      (Other times just because they forgot.)

    • Michael Piefel
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
        On 3/04/01 at 10:56:10, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Bringing this into relation with Vim: I have been wondering if the on-line
        > help should be written in Docbook. That would allow it to be converted into
        > various formats with existing tools. Except that for producing the on-line
        > help text a new filter would be required.

        The idea does not sound bad - but you should consider that DocBook
        really is quite huge. You will most probably want to specify a heavily
        reduced subset of the specification.

        Also remember that writing DocBook with non-specialized tools can be
        quite cumbersome. I do it with Vim, of course, but SGML (or rather XML,
        which is, I think, the now-preferred format) can be wordy. Think of:

        fnamemodify({fname}, {mods})

        vs.

        </funcprototype>

        Bye,