[OT] DocBook tools on Win32?

  • Vince Negri
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
      Hello all,

      I decided recently to find out about SGML and DocBook, and unsurprisingly
      would find it useful to have some tools that convert a DocBook file into
      HTML/rtf/TeX whatever...

      From my surfing, I find that I probably need
      1) Jade or OpenJade
      2) the DocBook DTD
      3) Some 'entity definitions' (?)
      4) DSSSL definitions

      Now Jade is available for Win32, and the others are all platform-neutral,
      so I should be motoring, but..

      The problem is that I haven't found any (understandable) information
      as to how you get all this stuff and fit it together - every page seems
      to have been written by SGML gurus for their fellow gurus. Nor
      (and this I find a little odd) has anyone produced a great big
      "this is all you need" zip file with all of the above put in the right
      relative locations.

      Does anyone know of a Win32 HOWTO, or similar document, on this
      topic?

      MTIA

      Vince

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
        Vince Negri wrote:

        > I decided recently to find out about SGML and DocBook, and unsurprisingly
        > would find it useful to have some tools that convert a DocBook file into
        > HTML/rtf/TeX whatever...
        [...]

        Bringing this into relation with Vim: I have been wondering if the on-line
        help should be written in Docbook. That would allow it to be converted into
        various formats with existing tools. Except that for producing the on-line
        help text a new filter would be required.

        This would be especially useful for the user manual, which is yet to be
        written. If a conversion from Docbook to on-line help text would be created,
        would it be a good idea to go this way?

        This has been suggested before, but the lack of conversion from Docbook to
        on-line help has been the bottleneck. So long as this doesn't exist it won't
        be possible.

        --
        Engineers will go without food and hygiene for days to solve a problem.
        (Other times just because they forgot.)

      • Michael Piefel
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
          On 3/04/01 at 10:56:10, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Bringing this into relation with Vim: I have been wondering if the on-line
          > help should be written in Docbook. That would allow it to be converted into
          > various formats with existing tools. Except that for producing the on-line
          > help text a new filter would be required.

          The idea does not sound bad - but you should consider that DocBook
          really is quite huge. You will most probably want to specify a heavily
          reduced subset of the specification.

          Also remember that writing DocBook with non-specialized tools can be
          quite cumbersome. I do it with Vim, of course, but SGML (or rather XML,
          which is, I think, the now-preferred format) can be wordy. Think of:

          fnamemodify({fname}, {mods})

          vs.

          </funcprototype>

          Bye,