Re: Another virtualedit=all thing (6.0y, may be fixed in z)

  • Chase Tingley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001
      Forgot to reply-all.

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:38:46 -0400 (EDT)
      From: Chase Tingley <tingley@...>
      To: Mary Ellen Foster <mef@...>
      Subject: Re: Another virtualedit=all thing (6.0y, may be fixed in z)

      On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Mary Ellen Foster wrote:

      > - vim -u NONE -U NONE
      > - :set virtualedit=all
      > - insert some text; say, "keyword"
      > - then type "keyw"
      > - put the cursor on the "w" and type C CTRL-N; you get "ykeyword". If
      > you keep pressing CTRL-N, the y will be deleted and doesn't show up
      > any more. The same thing also happens with C followed by CTRL-X
      > CTRL-L, and probably other completion commands too (seems to happen
      > with dictionary completion, too, for instance).

      > This may be fixed in 6.0z, but we're having system problems here and I
      > haven't been able to install the newest version.

      I can reproduce this in 6.0z.

      It may be an issue with how 'C' behaves differently in virtualedit off. If
      I try this without virtualedit, curwin->w_cursor may be something like
      { lnum = 2, col = 11, coladd = 0 }

      but doing the same thing in virtualedit gives
      { lnum = 2, col = 10, coladd = 1 }

      ins_complete() and its kin ignore coladd, so this difference in col causes
      completion_length to be set to 2 rather than 3, complete_pat to be "\\<ke"
      rather than "\\key", etc.

      I'll look into a fix later in the day, assuming no one else has it by then.

      ct