Re: Vim 6.0z - filename completion includes hidden files

  • Craig Barkhouse
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2001
      Bram wrote:
      > I often want to edit a hidden file. msdos.sys for example. The logic to
      > decide which files to make hidden is unclear to me. I prefer to ignore
      the
      > hidden flag when looking around for files to edit.
      >
      > Some people might prefer to ignore hidden files, but it would require
      > yet-another-option. You might also want to ignore *.exe files, it's
      unlikely
      > you want to edit these. But they don't have the hidden flag. Thus the
      option
      > gets more complicated. You are probably better off using 'wildignore'.

      Maybe we can work the option into 'wildignore' somehow. How about if the
      pattern starts with two consecutive asterisks, it is really a meta-pattern
      matching files with a certain characteristic? So if you put the pattern
      "**hidden" into your 'wildignore' string, wildcard expansion would ignore
      hidden files. I can think of lots of other characteristics we could add as
      needed/desired.