Re: Vim 6.0z - filename completion includes hidden files

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2001
      Craig Barkhouse wrote:

      > Good work guys. I think this is desirable behaviour, and should be added.
      > I would have expected it to ignore hidden files.

      I often want to edit a hidden file. msdos.sys for example. The logic to
      decide which files to make hidden is unclear to me. I prefer to ignore the
      hidden flag when looking around for files to edit.

      Some people might prefer to ignore hidden files, but it would require
      yet-another-option. You might also want to ignore *.exe files, it's unlikely
      you want to edit these. But they don't have the hidden flag. Thus the option
      gets more complicated. You are probably better off using 'wildignore'.

      --
      BEDEVERE: Why do you think she is a witch?
      SECOND VILLAGER: She turned me into a newt.

    • Craig Barkhouse
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2001
        Bram wrote:
        > I often want to edit a hidden file. msdos.sys for example. The logic to
        > decide which files to make hidden is unclear to me. I prefer to ignore
        the
        > hidden flag when looking around for files to edit.
        >
        > Some people might prefer to ignore hidden files, but it would require
        > yet-another-option. You might also want to ignore *.exe files, it's
        unlikely
        > you want to edit these. But they don't have the hidden flag. Thus the
        option
        > gets more complicated. You are probably better off using 'wildignore'.

        Maybe we can work the option into 'wildignore' somehow. How about if the
        pattern starts with two consecutive asterisks, it is really a meta-pattern
        matching files with a certain characteristic? So if you put the pattern
        "**hidden" into your 'wildignore' string, wildcard expansion would ignore
        hidden files. I can think of lots of other characteristics we could add as
        needed/desired.