bug in compiler

  • vipin aravind
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2001
      hello all,
      ouch Iam again and again taunted by compiler and system
      bugs.
      I was editting one of the files to add the printing stuff and
      I put a for loop for(i = 0 ; i < (strlen(p) /iCharsPerLine) , i++) , leave
      internationalization

      it was looping twice although it should do it thrice.

      I got stunned at the behaviour.
      so I put something like this

      loop = strlen(p)/iCharsPerLine;
      for(i = 0 ; i< loop ;i ++)
      and it cycled thrice.
      amazing !!!!
      vipin
    • vipin aravind
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2001
        sorry I didn't mention the compiler its vc++6.0
        vipin

        > hello all,
        > ouch Iam again and again taunted by compiler and system
        > bugs.
        > I was editting one of the files to add the printing stuff and
        > I put a for loop for(i = 0 ; i < (strlen(p) /iCharsPerLine) , i++) , leave
        > internationalization
        >
        > it was looping twice although it should do it thrice.
        >
        > I got stunned at the behaviour.
        > so I put something like this
        >
        > loop = strlen(p)/iCharsPerLine;
        > for(i = 0 ; i< loop ;i ++)
        > and it cycled thrice.
        > amazing !!!!
        > vipin

      • Benoit Cerrina
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
          Vipin,
          in any case the second loop looks a lot better to me, you should compute the
          loop invariants outside especially if the compiler has no mean to optimize
          it
          (it cannot know that (strlen(p) /iCharsPerLine is supposed to return the
          same
          value at each iteration and since you didn't post your code it might not
          even be the
          case).
          Benoit
          > ouch Iam again and again taunted by compiler and system
          > bugs.
          > I was editting one of the files to add the printing stuff and
          > I put a for loop for(i = 0 ; i < (strlen(p) /iCharsPerLine) , i++) , leave
          > internationalization
          >
          > it was looping twice although it should do it thrice.
          >
          > I got stunned at the behaviour.
          > so I put something like this
          >
          > loop = strlen(p)/iCharsPerLine;
          > for(i = 0 ; i< loop ;i ++)
          > and it cycled thrice.
          > amazing !!!!
          > vipin

        • Vince Negri
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
            vipin wrote

            > I got stunned at the behaviour.
            > so I put something like this
            >
            > loop = strlen(p)/iCharsPerLine;
            > for(i = 0 ; i< loop ;i ++)
            > and it cycled thrice.
            > amazing !!!!
            > vipin

            eh.. but what was the value of 'loop'?

            --
            Vince Negri (vnegri@...)
            Application Solutions Ltd. Tel:+44(0)1273-476608 Fax:+44(0)1273-478888