RE: 6.0w configure failure ...

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
      I'll have to check it out tonight. Possibly the old libiconv is
      conflicting.

      Ron

    • Ron Aaron
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
        Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
        >Ron Aaron wrote:
        >
        >> The failure is that it seems to be unable to determine the size of an int (!):
        >>
        >> configure:5704: checking size of int
        >> configure:5723: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lncurses -lelf -liconv -lgpm 1>&5
        >> configure:5715: warning: return-type defaults to `int'
        >> configure: failed program was:
        >> #line 5712 "configure"
        >> #include "confdefs.h"
        >> #include <stdio.h>
        >> main()
        >> {
        >> FILE *f=fopen("conftestval", "w");
        >> if (!f) exit(1);
        >> fprintf(f, "%d\n", (int)sizeof(int));
        >> exit(0);
        >> }
        >>

        >The problem is probably that linking failed. Strange that there is no error
        >message. Check the other lines in the config.log around this, I suspect other
        >tests that compile and link a program also failed.

        OK, I looked into it more, and still haven't a clue.

        I manually went into auto/config.h and changed SIZEOF_INT to 4, and everything
        compiled and works fine. :-<

        I compared the config.log with one from a machine without the problem, and
        there was nothing obvious.

        Ron
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
          Ron Aaron wrote:

          > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
          > >Ron Aaron wrote:
          > >
          > >> The failure is that it seems to be unable to determine the size of an int (!):
          > >>
          > >> configure:5704: checking size of int
          > >> configure:5723: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lncurses -lelf -liconv -lgpm 1>&5
          > >> configure:5715: warning: return-type defaults to `int'
          > >> configure: failed program was:
          > >> #line 5712 "configure"
          > >> #include "confdefs.h"
          > >> #include <stdio.h>
          > >> main()
          > >> {
          > >> FILE *f=fopen("conftestval", "w");
          > >> if (!f) exit(1);
          > >> fprintf(f, "%d\n", (int)sizeof(int));
          > >> exit(0);
          > >> }
          > >>

          > >The problem is probably that linking failed. Strange that there is no error
          > >message. Check the other lines in the config.log around this, I suspect other
          > >tests that compile and link a program also failed.
          >
          > OK, I looked into it more, and still haven't a clue.
          >
          > I manually went into auto/config.h and changed SIZEOF_INT to 4, and everything
          > compiled and works fine. :-<
          >
          > I compared the config.log with one from a machine without the problem, and
          > there was nothing obvious.

          It appears that only running the test program failed. Otherwise there would
          have been error messages.

          Perhaps this fopen() failed:

          FILE *f=fopen("conftestval", "w");

          Could happen when the file already exists and isn't writable.

          --
          Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

        • Ron Aaron
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
            Oy!

            The fundamental problem is, I'm an idiot.

            I installed 'libiconv 1.5.1'. Recompiled vim, clean. FORGOT to 'ldconfig'
            and add /usr/local/lib to my 'ld.so.conf' file.

            So indeed the linking *was* failing, but in some subtle way which didn't whine
            too loudly.

            Now I'm recompiling, and it went past the configure stage just fine, thank you
            very much... it even works :-~)

            <embarrassed in Seattle>

            Ron
          • Zdenek Sekera