Minor ':make' output bug

  • Neil Bird
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
      [6.0v]

      If the error message from a line out of :make is such that it *exactly*
      fills the statusbar upon :cc, it still adds the '...' abbreviation - but
      because it /is/ the right length, repeated ':cc's never give the whole
      text, IYSWIM.

      E.g.,

      :cc
      (7 of 21): too few argument...o function `clip_own_selection'
      398,6-13 15%

      ^^^ == "s t"

      Normally, a second :cc after an abbreviated line such as this would
      given the long text. But the long text is the same length, & so again gets
      abbreviated.

      --
      =====================- http://www.thalesgroup.com/ -=====================
      Neil Bird Principal Engineer |
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
        Neil Bird wrote:

        > [6.0v]
        >
        > If the error message from a line out of :make is such that it *exactly*
        > fills the statusbar upon :cc, it still adds the '...' abbreviation - but
        > because it /is/ the right length, repeated ':cc's never give the whole
        > text, IYSWIM.
        >
        > E.g.,
        >
        > :cc
        > (7 of 21): too few argument...o function `clip_own_selection'
        > 398,6-13 15%
        >
        > ^^^ == "s t"
        >
        > Normally, a second :cc after an abbreviated line such as this would
        > given the long text. But the long text is the same length, & so again gets
        > abbreviated.

        I see the problem. It's an off-by-one error. It would also be wrong when
        "uhex" is used in 'display'. This patch should fix both:

        *** ../dist/vim60w/src/message.c Sat Feb 24 15:28:36 2001
        --- message.c Thu Mar 1 16:00:14 2001
        ***************
        *** 216,225 ****
        else
        #endif
        {
        ! for (i = STRLEN(s) - 1; len < room; --i)
        ! len += ptr2cells(s + i);
        ! if (len > room)
        ! ++i;
        }
        STRCAT(buf, s + i);
        }
        --- 219,227 ----
        else
        #endif
        {
        ! for (i = STRLEN(s); len + (n = ptr2cells(s + i - 1)) <= room;
        ! --i)
        ! len += n;
        }
        STRCAT(buf, s + i);
        }
        35. Your husband tells you he's had the beard for 2 months.