Re: broken build

  • vipin aravind
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2001
      I ran vcvars32, am using vc++6.00 and WINDOWSNT4.0 (service pack 6.0)
      vipin
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2001
        craig,
        U found out correctly, its debug build, I had put on the mailing list
        to get an answer and nobody did, but u gave it correctly,
        I was able to hardcode the -DWIN32 and was able to get thru the compilation
        stage couple of hrs ago, u'r mail came a bit late.
        I had put it on the mailing list so that I don't had to go thru the mailing
        list
        But linking is failing

        LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBC" conflicts with use of other libs;
        use
        /NODEFAULTLIB:library
        edit.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _vim_strnicmp
        ex_getln.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _hkmap
        normal.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _hkmap
        option.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _buflist_slash_adjust
        os_win32.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
        __imp__GetUserNameA@8
        vimd.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals
        NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0x460'
        Stop.

        The above problems answer is there in u'r mail.
        I WISH THIS REPORT BY CRAIG SHOULD BE TAKEN AS A PATCH FOR MAKEFILES.
        thanks
        vipin

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2001

          --
          Vince Negri (vnegri@...)
          Application Solutions Ltd. Tel:+44(0)1273-476608 Fax:+44(0)1273-478888
          > -
        • Craig Barkhouse
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2001
            > > But Iam building on NT4 , doesn't that contradict u'r
            > > statement in braces.
            >
            > Strange... Vim built fine for me without having to define
            > WIN32 in the makefile - I have no idea why it works on my
            > machine in that case, by rights it shouldn't.... I'm
            > using VC++6 with service pack 4.

            It also built fine for me on Win2K without having to modify any files. WIN32 does get defined for me. This is because in Make_mvc.mak, CFLAGS is initialized to include $(CVARS). Just a bit earlier, CVARS was set to either $(cvars), or $(cvarsmt) for multithreaded, or $(cvarsd) whenever DEBUG is defined. It gets these from win32.mak which is !included. The problem is that $(cvarsd) does not exist, at least in my win32.mak (VC++ 6, SP4). Vipin is trying to compile the debug version.

            There is a similar problem with CON_LIB. When compiling the debug version, it gets set to $(conlibsd) or $(conlibsdlld). On my system, neither of these exist in win32.mak.

            Attached is a new Make_mvc.mak that I've tested using debug/non-debug and GUI/console (a total of four combinations). Below are the diffs.

            C:\Vim\latest\src>diff Make_mvc.mak.orig Make_mvc.mak
            120c120,122
            < !ifdef MULTITHREADED
            ---
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2001
              Craig Barkhouse wrote:

              > It also built fine for me on Win2K without having to modify any files.
              > WIN32 does get defined for me. This is because in Make_mvc.mak, CFLAGS is
              > initialized to include $(CVARS). Just a bit earlier, CVARS was set to
              > either $(cvars), or $(cvarsmt) for multithreaded, or $(cvarsd) whenever
              > DEBUG is defined. It gets these from win32.mak which is !included. The
              > problem is that $(cvarsd) does not exist, at least in my win32.mak (VC++ 6,
              > SP4). Vipin is trying to compile the debug version.
              >
              > There is a similar problem with CON_LIB. When compiling the debug version,
              > it gets set to $(conlibsd) or $(conlibsdlld). On my system, neither of
              > these exist in win32.mak.
              >
              > Attached is a new Make_mvc.mak that I've tested using debug/non-debug and
              > GUI/console (a total of four combinations). Below are the diffs.

              Looks OK to me. I'll include this, unless someone has a problem with that.

              34. You laugh at people with 14400 baud modems.