Re: broken build

  • vipin aravind
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2001
      cl -c /W3 /nologo -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_PATHDEF -D_DEBUG -DDEBUG /Zi
      /Od -D
      DYNAMIC_ICONV ex_cmds.c /Fo.\ObjCD/ex_cmds.obj /Fd.\ObjCD/
      alias ls =`dir /w`
      alias vi =`vim.exe`
      alias trace `setdos /y1 & %$`
      ex_cmds.c
      ex_cmds.c(157) : warning C4013: 'atoi' undefined; assuming extern returning
      int
      ex_cmds.c(252) : warning C4013: 'strlen' undefined; assuming extern
      returning in
      ex_cmds.c(360) : warning C4013: 'memmove' undefined; assuming extern
      returning i
      nt
      ex_cmds.c(646) : warning C4013: 'strcat' undefined; assuming extern
      returning in
      ex_cmds.c(698) : warning C4013: 'strcpy' undefined; assuming extern
      returning in
      ex_cmds.c(821) : warning C4013: 'strcmp' undefined; assuming extern
      returning in
      ex_cmds.c(919) : warning C4013: 'mch_remove' undefined; assuming extern
      returnin
      g int
      ex_cmds.c(957) : warning C4013: 'can_end_termcap_mode' undefined; assuming
      exter
      n returning int
      ex_cmds.c(1211) : warning C4013: 'strncat' undefined; assuming extern
      returning
      int
      ex_cmds.c(1298) : warning C4013: 'vim_stat' undefined; assuming extern
      returning
      int
      ex_cmds.c(1526) : error C2065: 'VIMINFO_FILE' : undeclared identifier
      ex_cmds.c(1759) : warning C4013: 'atol' undefined; assuming extern returning
      int
      ex_cmds.c(2874) : warning C4013: 'keymap_init' undefined; assuming extern
      return
      ing int
      ex_cmds.c(4620) : warning C4013: 'strncmp' undefined; assuming extern
      returning
      int
      ex_cmds.c(4703) : warning C4013: 'mch_isdir' undefined; assuming extern
      returnin
      g int
      vipin
      ~
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2001
        But Iam building on NT4 , doesn't that contradict u'r
        statement in braces.
        thanks
        vipin
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 28, 2001
          I ran vcvars32, am using vc++6.00 and WINDOWSNT4.0 (service pack 6.0)
          vipin

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 28, 2001
            craig,
            U found out correctly, its debug build, I had put on the mailing list
            to get an answer and nobody did, but u gave it correctly,
            I was able to hardcode the -DWIN32 and was able to get thru the compilation
            stage couple of hrs ago, u'r mail came a bit late.
            I had put it on the mailing list so that I don't had to go thru the mailing
            list
            But linking is failing

            LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBC" conflicts with use of other libs;
            use
            /NODEFAULTLIB:library
            edit.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _vim_strnicmp
            ex_getln.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _hkmap
            normal.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _hkmap
            option.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _buflist_slash_adjust
            os_win32.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
            __imp__GetUserNameA@8
            vimd.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals
            NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0x460'
            Stop.

            The above problems answer is there in u'r mail.
            I WISH THIS REPORT BY CRAIG SHOULD BE TAKEN AS A PATCH FOR MAKEFILES.
            thanks
            vipin

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2001
                > But Iam building on NT4 , doesn't that contradict u'r
                > statement in braces.

                Strange... Vim built fine for me without having to define
                WIN32 in the makefile - I have no idea why it works on my
                machine in that case, by rights it shouldn't.... I'm
                using VC++6 with service pack 4.

                --
                Vince Negri (vnegri@...)
                Application Solutions Ltd. Tel:+44(0)1273-476608 Fax:+44(0)1273-478888
                > -
              • Craig Barkhouse
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2001
                  > > But Iam building on NT4 , doesn't that contradict u'r
                  > > statement in braces.
                  >
                  > Strange... Vim built fine for me without having to define
                  > WIN32 in the makefile - I have no idea why it works on my
                  > machine in that case, by rights it shouldn't.... I'm
                  > using VC++6 with service pack 4.

                  It also built fine for me on Win2K without having to modify any files. WIN32 does get defined for me. This is because in Make_mvc.mak, CFLAGS is initialized to include $(CVARS). Just a bit earlier, CVARS was set to either $(cvars), or $(cvarsmt) for multithreaded, or $(cvarsd) whenever DEBUG is defined. It gets these from win32.mak which is !included. The problem is that $(cvarsd) does not exist, at least in my win32.mak (VC++ 6, SP4). Vipin is trying to compile the debug version.

                  There is a similar problem with CON_LIB. When compiling the debug version, it gets set to $(conlibsd) or $(conlibsdlld). On my system, neither of these exist in win32.mak.

                  Attached is a new Make_mvc.mak that I've tested using debug/non-debug and GUI/console (a total of four combinations). Below are the diffs.

                  C:\Vim\latest\src>diff Make_mvc.mak.orig Make_mvc.mak
                  120c120,122
                  < !ifdef MULTITHREADED
                  ---
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2001
                    Craig Barkhouse wrote:

                    > It also built fine for me on Win2K without having to modify any files.
                    > WIN32 does get defined for me. This is because in Make_mvc.mak, CFLAGS is
                    > initialized to include $(CVARS). Just a bit earlier, CVARS was set to
                    > either $(cvars), or $(cvarsmt) for multithreaded, or $(cvarsd) whenever
                    > DEBUG is defined. It gets these from win32.mak which is !included. The
                    > problem is that $(cvarsd) does not exist, at least in my win32.mak (VC++ 6,
                    > SP4). Vipin is trying to compile the debug version.
                    >
                    > There is a similar problem with CON_LIB. When compiling the debug version,
                    > it gets set to $(conlibsd) or $(conlibsdlld). On my system, neither of
                    > these exist in win32.mak.
                    >
                    > Attached is a new Make_mvc.mak that I've tested using debug/non-debug and
                    > GUI/console (a total of four combinations). Below are the diffs.

                    Looks OK to me. I'll include this, unless someone has a problem with that.

                    34. You laugh at people with 14400 baud modems.