Re: check for missing file after :browse command

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 4:41 AM
      Raul Segura wrote:

      > I'm running gvim under windows
      >
      > if you delete or rename a file from the window opened by the
      > :browse command, then when you return to vim it won't give you
      > the usual "file no longer available" warning

      I can't reproduce this. Can you give an example?

      When you do another shell command, like "!ls", do you get the warning then?
      Do you have autocommands installed?

      2. You kiss your girlfriend's home page.

    • raul@workspot.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2001
        On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:41:42PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Raul Segura wrote:

        > > I'm running gvim under windows

        > > if you delete or rename a file from the window opened by the
        > > :browse command, then when you return to vim it won't give you
        > > the usual "file no longer available" warning

        > I can't reproduce this. Can you give an example?

        > When you do another shell command, like "!ls", do you get the warning then?
        > Do you have autocommands installed?

        gvim -u NONE -U none
        :w afile
        :browse w " from this window delete afile and press Cancel
        :"no warning here
        :!ls
        Warning: File "afile" no longer available
        :"lets try "rm"
        :w afile
        :!rm afile
        Warning: File "afile" no longer available
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2001
          > > Raul Segura wrote:
          >
          > > > I'm running gvim under windows
          >
          > > > if you delete or rename a file from the window opened by the
          > > > :browse command, then when you return to vim it won't give you
          > > > the usual "file no longer available" warning
          >
          > > I can't reproduce this. Can you give an example?
          >
          > > When you do another shell command, like "!ls", do you get the warning then?
          > > Do you have autocommands installed?
          >
          > gvim -u NONE -U none
          > :w afile
          > :browse w " from this window delete afile and press Cancel
          > :"no warning here
          > :!ls
          > Warning: File "afile" no longer available

          Hmm, I think in this situation Vim shouldn't give any message. You
          intentionally deleted the file. Thus the following ":!ls" also shouldn't
          complain, right? Shell commands are different, because you might do something
          for which it's not clear that the file has been deleted (e.g., :make clean).

          166. You have been on your computer soo long that you didn't realize
          you had grandchildren.