Re: 6.0t breaks crontab -e (now getting offtopic)

  • Max Ischenko
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
      Thomas K?hler wrote:

      > > > Did you change any of the options? Specifically 'backupskip'. Or
      > is your
      > > > $TMPDIR not set to /tmp?
      > >
      > > No special options, no tampering with backupskip, no odd $TMPDIR.
      > >
      > > This happens only with the minimal version
      > > --with-features=tiny --with-x=no \
      > > --disable-pythoninterp --disable-perlinterp --disable-tclinterp \
      > > --with-tlib=termcap --enable-gui=no --disable-gpm --exec-prefix=/
      > >
      > > the full-featured version
      > > --with-features=huge --enable-pythoninterp \
      > > --enable-perlinterp --disable-tclinterp --with-x=no --enable-gui=no
      > \
      > > --exec-prefix=/usr --enable-multibyte --enable-fontset
      > >
      > > works great.
      >
      > What I always wanted to ask in this respect: Doing a default install of
      > RedHat 6.2, vim-minimal gets installed. Now, I hit "vim" and get
      > "command not found", so I enter "vi", and :ver says... "hey, it's vim".
      > That's just annoying!

      The bugzilla.redhat.com is the place to said this if you want to be heard.

      --
      An experienced user learns to be pessimistic.
    • Thomas Köhler
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
        On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:58:01AM +0100,
        Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Thomas Köhler wrote:
        >
        > > What I always wanted to ask in this respect: Doing a default install of
        > > RedHat 6.2, vim-minimal gets installed. Now, I hit "vim" and get
        > > "command not found", so I enter "vi", and :ver says... "hey, it's vim".
        > > That's just annoying!
        >
        > I think this is the only sane thing to do - having a /bin/vi that is vim
        > stripped down to be little more than old vi (features=tiny) and a
        > /usr/bin/vim as a fully featured editor (from vim-enhanced) seems sane to
        > me.

        It's sane if there really are both of them. It's not if there's only vi.
        Why not symlink vim to vi then?

        And of course, you could as well just let vim-minimal conflict with
        vim-enhanced (that's what package management is for), so if you install
        vim-enhanced, vim-minimal gets removed first. vim-minimal contains both
        vi and vim (the later being a symlink to the first), and vim-enhanced
        contains both (vi being the "minimal" version, vim being the enhanced
        one).

        > I've always been in favor of moving vim-enhanced to the default
        > installations, but some <puke>emacs</puke> freaks are blocking that idea.
        > :/

        ~> emacs
        zsh: command not found: emacs

        Of course, this is not a default installation (and, to be honest, it's
        debian-based ;-)

        > LLaP
        > bero

        Ciao,
        Thomas

        IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
          Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

          > > > When using vim 6.0t with "crontab -e", crontab holds the fd of the tmp
          > > > file, and compares the result of fstat before and after; vi unlinks the
          > > > old file and writes a new one.
          > >
          > > Hmm, I thought I fixed that. And for me it works fine.
          >
          > Not working on Red Hat Linux 7.
          >
          > > Did you change any of the options? Specifically 'backupskip'. Or is your
          > > $TMPDIR not set to /tmp?
          >
          > No special options, no tampering with backupskip, no odd $TMPDIR.

          Hmm, only in the tiny version... Ah, 'backupskip' isn't included then.

          Include this patch, then it should work:

          *** feature.h~ Tue Jan 30 14:47:58 2001
          --- feature.h Fri Feb 2 12:54:58 2001
          ***************
          *** 387,395 ****
          #endif

          /*
          ! * +wildignore 'wildignore' option
          */
          ! #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
          # define FEAT_WILDIGN
          #endif

          --- 387,396 ----
          #endif

          /*
          ! * +wildignore 'wildignore' and 'backupskip' options
          ! * Needed for Unix to make "crontab -e" work.
          */
          ! #if defined(FEAT_NORMAL) || defined(UNIX)
          # define FEAT_WILDIGN
          #endif

          125. You begin to wonder how often it REALLY is necessary to get up
          and shower or bathe.