Re: 6.0t breaks crontab -e (now getting offtopic)

  • Thomas Köhler
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
      On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:31:59AM +0100,
      Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >
      > > > Some tools apparently can't deal with the new way of handling file I/O...
      > > >
      > > > When using vim 6.0t with "crontab -e", crontab holds the fd of the tmp
      > > > file, and compares the result of fstat before and after; vi unlinks the
      > > > old file and writes a new one.
      > >
      > > Hmm, I thought I fixed that. And for me it works fine.
      >
      > Not working on Red Hat Linux 7.
      >
      > > Did you change any of the options? Specifically 'backupskip'. Or is your
      > > $TMPDIR not set to /tmp?
      >
      > No special options, no tampering with backupskip, no odd $TMPDIR.
      >
      > This happens only with the minimal version
      > --with-features=tiny --with-x=no \
      > --disable-pythoninterp --disable-perlinterp --disable-tclinterp \
      > --with-tlib=termcap --enable-gui=no --disable-gpm --exec-prefix=/
      >
      > the full-featured version
      > --with-features=huge --enable-pythoninterp \
      > --enable-perlinterp --disable-tclinterp --with-x=no --enable-gui=no \
      > --exec-prefix=/usr --enable-multibyte --enable-fontset
      >
      > works great.

      What I always wanted to ask in this respect: Doing a default install of
      RedHat 6.2, vim-minimal gets installed. Now, I hit "vim" and get
      "command not found", so I enter "vi", and :ver says... "hey, it's vim".
      That's just annoying!

      > LLaP
      > bero

      Ciao,
      Thomas

      IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
    • Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
        On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Thomas Köhler wrote:

        > What I always wanted to ask in this respect: Doing a default install of
        > RedHat 6.2, vim-minimal gets installed. Now, I hit "vim" and get
        > "command not found", so I enter "vi", and :ver says... "hey, it's vim".
        > That's just annoying!

        I think this is the only sane thing to do - having a /bin/vi that is vim
        stripped down to be little more than old vi (features=tiny) and a
        /usr/bin/vim as a fully featured editor (from vim-enhanced) seems sane to
        me.

        I've always been in favor of moving vim-enhanced to the default
        installations, but some <puke>emacs</puke> freaks are blocking that idea.
        :/

        LLaP
        bero
      • Max Ischenko
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
          Thomas K?hler wrote:

          > > > Did you change any of the options? Specifically 'backupskip'. Or
          > is your
          > > > $TMPDIR not set to /tmp?
          > >
          > > No special options, no tampering with backupskip, no odd $TMPDIR.
          > >
          > > This happens only with the minimal version
          > > --with-features=tiny --with-x=no \
          > > --disable-pythoninterp --disable-perlinterp --disable-tclinterp \
          > > --with-tlib=termcap --enable-gui=no --disable-gpm --exec-prefix=/
          > >
          > > the full-featured version
          > > --with-features=huge --enable-pythoninterp \
          > > --enable-perlinterp --disable-tclinterp --with-x=no --enable-gui=no
          > \
          > > --exec-prefix=/usr --enable-multibyte --enable-fontset
          > >
          > > works great.
          >
          > What I always wanted to ask in this respect: Doing a default install of
          > RedHat 6.2, vim-minimal gets installed. Now, I hit "vim" and get
          > "command not found", so I enter "vi", and :ver says... "hey, it's vim".
          > That's just annoying!

          The bugzilla.redhat.com is the place to said this if you want to be heard.

          --
          An experienced user learns to be pessimistic.
        • Thomas Köhler
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
            On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:58:01AM +0100,
            Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Thomas Köhler wrote:
            >
            > > What I always wanted to ask in this respect: Doing a default install of
            > > RedHat 6.2, vim-minimal gets installed. Now, I hit "vim" and get
            > > "command not found", so I enter "vi", and :ver says... "hey, it's vim".
            > > That's just annoying!
            >
            > I think this is the only sane thing to do - having a /bin/vi that is vim
            > stripped down to be little more than old vi (features=tiny) and a
            > /usr/bin/vim as a fully featured editor (from vim-enhanced) seems sane to
            > me.

            It's sane if there really are both of them. It's not if there's only vi.
            Why not symlink vim to vi then?

            And of course, you could as well just let vim-minimal conflict with
            vim-enhanced (that's what package management is for), so if you install
            vim-enhanced, vim-minimal gets removed first. vim-minimal contains both
            vi and vim (the later being a symlink to the first), and vim-enhanced
            contains both (vi being the "minimal" version, vim being the enhanced
            one).

            > I've always been in favor of moving vim-enhanced to the default
            > installations, but some <puke>emacs</puke> freaks are blocking that idea.
            > :/

            ~> emacs
            zsh: command not found: emacs

            Of course, this is not a default installation (and, to be honest, it's
            debian-based ;-)

            > LLaP
            > bero

            Ciao,
            Thomas

            IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
              Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

              > > > When using vim 6.0t with "crontab -e", crontab holds the fd of the tmp
              > > > file, and compares the result of fstat before and after; vi unlinks the
              > > > old file and writes a new one.
              > >
              > > Hmm, I thought I fixed that. And for me it works fine.
              >
              > Not working on Red Hat Linux 7.
              >
              > > Did you change any of the options? Specifically 'backupskip'. Or is your
              > > $TMPDIR not set to /tmp?
              >
              > No special options, no tampering with backupskip, no odd $TMPDIR.

              Hmm, only in the tiny version... Ah, 'backupskip' isn't included then.

              Include this patch, then it should work:

              *** feature.h~ Tue Jan 30 14:47:58 2001
              --- feature.h Fri Feb 2 12:54:58 2001
              ***************
              *** 387,395 ****
              #endif

              /*
              ! * +wildignore 'wildignore' option
              */
              ! #ifdef FEAT_NORMAL
              # define FEAT_WILDIGN
              #endif

              --- 387,396 ----
              #endif

              /*
              ! * +wildignore 'wildignore' and 'backupskip' options
              ! * Needed for Unix to make "crontab -e" work.
              */
              ! #if defined(FEAT_NORMAL) || defined(UNIX)
              # define FEAT_WILDIGN
              #endif

              125. You begin to wonder how often it REALLY is necessary to get up
              and shower or bathe.