Fetching a single character of input

  • Neil Bird
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
      Actually, what I'm thinking of is being able to 'print' xterm query
      codes and have some way of extracting the answer in a vim function.

      Is that in any shape or form even feasable?

      --
      =====================- http://www.thalesgroup.com/ -=====================
      Neil Bird | If this .signature |
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
        Neil Bird wrote:

        > Actually, what I'm thinking of is being able to 'print' xterm query
        > codes and have some way of extracting the answer in a vim function.
        >
        > Is that in any shape or form even feasable?

        Is getchar() not sufficient?

        113. You are asked about a bus schedule, you wonder if it is 16 or 32 bits.

      • Neil Bird
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2001
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > Actually, what I'm thinking of is being able to 'print' xterm query
          > > codes and have some way of extracting the answer in a vim function.
          >
          > Is getchar() not sufficient?

          Erm ... <fx: whistles and looks around innocently>

          Yes, sorry, I managed to miss that :-/

          OK, well I'm pretty well there: two snags (ref. attached test script)

          (1) is there a way to force echo to actually /print/ an <esc> as opposed
          to "^["? Yes, I know it'd normally be dangerous, but doing !echo switches
          screens.

          (2) getchar(), as far as I can tell, is actually waiting for me to
          physically type something before it sees the xterm's response (which it
          does do). I.e., I run the attached GetSize() and have to hit <Space> to
          get anything.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2001
            Neil Bird wrote:

            > (1) is there a way to force echo to actually /print/ an <esc> as opposed
            > to "^["? Yes, I know it'd normally be dangerous, but doing !echo switches
            > screens.

            Did you try adding <Esc> to 'isprint'?

            > (2) getchar(), as far as I can tell, is actually waiting for me to
            > physically type something before it sees the xterm's response (which it
            > does do). I.e., I run the attached GetSize() and have to hit <Space> to
            > get anything.

            It works fine for me, without typing a space. Perhaps it's because your xterm
            swaps screens?

            Anyway, getchar() wasn't really setup to handle communication with escape
            sequences. I'm surprised this actually works.

            126. You brag to all of your friends about your date Saturday night...but
            you don't tell them it was only in a chat room.

          • Neil Bird
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2001
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > Did you try adding <Esc> to 'isprint'?

              <sigh> So many vim help files, so little time :-)

              > It works fine for me, without typing a space. Perhaps it's because your xterm
              > swaps screens?
              >
              > Anyway, getchar() wasn't really setup to handle communication with escape
              > sequences. I'm surprised this actually works.

              Good golly - it works. Time to give yourself a[nother] big pat on the
              back, then. Having set isprint+=27 within the script, it works a treat.
              The problems were wholly to do with the codes going to/from different
              alternate screens.

              Now I can do all /manner/ of clever xterm-y things from vim :-)

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2001
                Neil Bird wrote:

                > Good golly - it works. Time to give yourself a[nother] big pat on the
                > back, then. Having set isprint+=27 within the script, it works a treat.
                > The problems were wholly to do with the codes going to/from different
                > alternate screens.
                >
                > Now I can do all /manner/ of clever xterm-y things from vim :-)

                Oh, Oh! :-)

                --
                In a world without fences, who needs Gates and Windows?