Question about syntax types and 6.0r

  • Jeff Lanzarotta
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
      I am trying to get version 6.0r to work and I am having problems with
      syntax files.

      I have a file type that I have created, that is not known by vim. It
      has an extension of .qc. How do I get vim to recognize this file type
      without having to go in and change filetype.vim, etc? Under vim5.7 I
      used myfiletypes.vim, mysynmenu.vim and mysyntax.vim... Do you still
      use these or is there a better way?

      Thanks.

      --
      Jeff Lanzarotta
      Software Engineer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
        Oh, by the way... I am working under Windoze...

        --
        Jeff Lanzarotta
        Software Engineer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
          Jeff Lanzarotta wrote:

          > I am trying to get version 6.0r to work and I am having problems with
          > syntax files.
          >
          > I have a file type that I have created, that is not known by vim. It
          > has an extension of .qc. How do I get vim to recognize this file type
          > without having to go in and change filetype.vim, etc? Under vim5.7 I
          > used myfiletypes.vim, mysynmenu.vim and mysyntax.vim... Do you still
          > use these or is there a better way?
          >
          > Thanks.

          :help mysyntaxfile

          is still a valid topic, and it contains a link to

          :help new-filetype

          You can also try

          :help myfiletypefile

          and learn that the old way is still supported.

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Dr. Charles E. Campbell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
            Thus saith Jeff Lanzarotta:
            > I have a file type that I have created, that is not known by vim. It
            > has an extension of .qc.

            1. Under Unix: $HOME/.vim
            Under Windoz: %VIMRUNTIME%\vimfiles

            Put a file in there called <filetype.vim>.
            Put in that file a line of the form...

            au BufNewFile,BufReadPost *.qc setfiletype qc

            2. Under Unix: $HOME/.vim/syntax
            Under Windoz: %VIMRUNTIME%\vimfiles\syntax

            Put a file <qc.vim> in there.

            Regards,
            C Campbell

            --