Re: Vim IDE

  • Gordon Prieur
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
      >Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:29:52 -0500
      >From: Devin Weaver <ktohg@...>
      >Subject: Re: Vim IDE
      >To: vim-dev@...
      ktohg@... using -f

      >You CAN'T!!! Well actually you could but I've yet to see a single IDE
      >orientated person even give a damn about using a custom text editor.
      >You see Any company of person (That I know of) who builds an IDE
      >just can't conceive you using anything else.

      You haven't looked far enough then. Sun's Visual WorkShop development
      environment allows users to select gvim, vi, xemacs, emacs, or nedit as
      their editor in the ide. The integration is fairly good too. The editor
      shows breakpoints, compiler errors and other important information with
      glyphs in the editor. It also supports control of the ide from a toolbar
      in the editor (mostly debugger icons but also a few others).

      All the features added to vim for this ide support were given back to
      vim.org and are in the 6.0 alpha releases. They features were done so
      they could be used with any ide which wanted to use vim/gvim as its
      editor.

      See ":help debugger" for more detail about the ide features and how to
      compile them into your vim.

      Gordon Prieur