Re: Vim IDE

  • Devin Weaver
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
      On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 07:21:42PM -0500, Andrew Freeman wrote:
      > > > A while back there were discussions of integrating Vim into an IDE.

      You CAN'T!!! Well actually you could but I've yet to see a single IDE
      orientated person even give a damn about using a custom text editor.
      You see Any company of person (That I know of) who builds an IDE
      just can't conceive you using anything else.

      Besides every person I've ever asked who used an IDE said "That is the
      editor! What are you talking about alternate editor? That pulldown you
      get for package completion is the text editor!"

      For fscking sake people, I want to
      :%s/m_strLameAssName/Cleaner_local_variable_name/gc
      My code darn it!!!

      [... The rest of this thought was unintelligible and included many
      whines and cries. It has been removed for every ones safety ...]

      > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > And while we are at it, also add a window for reading news.
      > > And a HTML viewer would be useful too. And... This never stops! :-)
      > Okay, that apparently was not expressed the way I meant it.
      >
      > Yes, I agree with you that there is a limit to what Vim should have
      > directly integrated in to it.
      > Vim _is_ a text editor after all not an Emacs. ;)

      Oh yes and with the new plugin features... Oh but wait corporate will
      never go for that idea! To think a 867,820 KB program that edits text!
      We better add e-mail, HTML viewer... Remember corporate loves stupid
      things. Oh and don't forget the dancing happy face when the following
      code is entered in:
      try
      {
      [...]
      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
      throw new GenericException
      ("You'll never get a Stack Trace now! Muahahaha!");
      }

      [... Please! Someone shoot this boy before the sarcasm kills us all! ...]

      > What I was trying to suggest is that we could develop a _script_ that
      > provides a basic IDE window, not that Vim itself should be the IDE.

      Yes yes! I like that idea. Ooo, what about the pulldown Menes? hmm
      Yes we could use tag completion, Oh wait :set wildmenu makes it
      better! So all that's needed is the package management, and build
      management. Oh wait Ant and make do build management. And all packaging
      is is directory structure. So all in all if we have a wrapper program that
      has a cutesy interface, some wizards, and some program templates. Then
      use Ant or make for the build process (We could even integrate VIM's
      quickfix feature). Have it build proper tag files... Yes yes this
      could work.

      Now wait, doesn't all those 1,000 IDE's out there do this already? Oh
      yeah, you can't use alternate editors. Gods, talk about reinventing the
      wheel!

      > I was thinking that this would be at the very, very least an interesting
      > experiment with what could be done with folding, and plugins.
      > It was just a thought. Shoot it down if you wish.

      Personally I like the thought of challenging all those who shun me for
      using the command line. Teach them I'm just as powerful if not more!

      If you got time to work on that idea all the more power to ya! Mail me
      if you need help with ideas I'd love to help.

      [.. OK the author of this email is done with his freak show. Your
      topic announced, you may discus ...err, I mean, flame as you wish ;-) ...]

      --
      Just about every computer on the market today runs Unix, except the Mac
      (and nobody cares about it).
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
        >Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:29:52 -0500
        >From: Devin Weaver <ktohg@...>
        >Subject: Re: Vim IDE
        >To: vim-dev@...
        ktohg@... using -f

        >You CAN'T!!! Well actually you could but I've yet to see a single IDE
        >orientated person even give a damn about using a custom text editor.
        >You see Any company of person (That I know of) who builds an IDE
        >just can't conceive you using anything else.

        You haven't looked far enough then. Sun's Visual WorkShop development
        environment allows users to select gvim, vi, xemacs, emacs, or nedit as
        their editor in the ide. The integration is fairly good too. The editor
        shows breakpoints, compiler errors and other important information with
        glyphs in the editor. It also supports control of the ide from a toolbar
        in the editor (mostly debugger icons but also a few others).

        All the features added to vim for this ide support were given back to
        vim.org and are in the 6.0 alpha releases. They features were done so
        they could be used with any ide which wanted to use vim/gvim as its
        editor.

        See ":help debugger" for more detail about the ide features and how to
        compile them into your vim.

        Gordon Prieur