Re: matchit.vim et cetera

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Benji Fisher wrote:
      >
      > > 2. request: it would be convenient if search() had a flag giving the
      > > default (forward) behavior, as in
      > >
      > > :call search("foo", "f")
      >
      > Eh, why? If you leave out "b" it will search forward.
      >
      > > In fact, I would prefer "?" and "/" instead of "b" and "f".
      >
      > That's a matter of taste.
      >
      > > 3. compilation woes: The README files say that there is a vim*.zip file
      > > containing the sources for dos-like systems. I could not find this for
      > > vim 6.0q; are these distributions only made for use releases?
      >
      > Yes. All the files are in the Unix src and the extra archives. You could
      > generate the dos-source archive from this yourself.
      >
      > > Using MS VC++ 6.0, I could not compile from the command line (probably
      > > because include files were not in my path) so I tried the GUI compiler
      > > interface. According to the docs, this should compile gvim by default, but
      > > I got the console version.
      >
      > For the command line to work you need to run "vcvars32" first.
      >
      > For gvim you need to use Make_gvc.mak. It can be converted into a project to
      > use in the VC-GUI. Make_mvc.mak produces a console version by default, but
      > can also make other versions. I don't think it can be converted into a
      > project, which makes debugging difficult. (I only have MSVC 5.0, but I don't
      > think 6.0 is different).

      2. It's not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider
      MyFoo("forward") and YourFoo("backward"):

      fun MyFoo(direction)
      search("foo", a:direction[0])
      endfun

      fun YourFoo(direction)
      if a:direction == "backward"
      let flag = "b"
      else
      let flag = ""
      endif
      search("foo", flag)
      endfun

      3. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll save this for the next time I want to
      compile. Unfortunately, when I run vcvars32, I get "Out of environment
      space" warnings, so I doubt it did any good. Maybe some day I will get
      Linux to talk to my modem and start using a real OS...

      You are right: I used Make_mvc.mak instead of Make_gvc.mak . My
      mistake (or "missed make" ;).
    • Nazri Ramliy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
        On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 10:58:23AM -0500, Benji Fisher wrote:
        > 3. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll save this for the next time I want to
        > compile. Unfortunately, when I run vcvars32, I get "Out of environment
        > space" warnings, so I doubt it did any good.

        Try adding this into your config.sys:

        shell=c:\windows\command.com /e:2048

        If I'm not mistaken, you can change the value for '/e:' from 160 to 32768,
        the default DOS uses is 256, 2048 should be plenty for environment variables.

        --
        Nazri
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
          Benji Fisher wrote:

          > 3. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll save this for the next time I want to
          > compile. Unfortunately, when I run vcvars32, I get "Out of environment
          > space" warnings, so I doubt it did any good.

          You have to buy more memory! :-)

          I often get "Command line too long" errors, and then compiling won't work.
          I need to remove some things before running "vcvars32"...

          166. You have been on your computer soo long that you didn't realize
          you had grandchildren.

        • c928400@student.dtu.dk
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
            Thus wrote Benji Fisher (benji@...) on [010101]:
            > 2. It's not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider
            > MyFoo("forward") and YourFoo("backward"):

            > fun MyFoo(direction)
            > search("foo", a:direction[0])
            > endfun

            Well, you could require the direction to be specified in a format
            expected by search(). This way, you can also, easily, use "w" and "W"
            to overrule 'wrapscan'.

            > fun YourFoo(direction)
            > if a:direction == "backward"
            > let flag = "b"
            > else
            > let flag = ""
            > endif
            > search("foo", flag)
            > endfun

            If you want to do something this simple, try

            fun AnotherFoo(direction)
            call search("foo", a:direction =~? '^b\(ackward\)\=$' ? "b" : "")
            endfun

            (which happens to include my favorite way of handling cases "b" or
            "backward" case insensitive.)

            Peppe
            --
            "Before you criticize someone, walk
            Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
              c928400@... wrote:

              > Thus wrote Benji Fisher (benji@...) on [010101]:
              > > 2. It's not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider
              [snip]

              > If you want to do something this simple, try
              >
              > fun AnotherFoo(direction)
              > call search("foo", a:direction =~? '^b\(ackward\)\=$' ? "b" : "")
              > endfun
              >
              > (which happens to include my favorite way of handling cases "b" or
              > "backward" case insensitive.)
              >
              > Peppe

              Of course, what I really have in mind is not that simple! ;)

              I did say that it is a matter of convenience, so thank you for making
              it more convenient. I did not know that C-style ?: had been added to vim
              6.0: what fun! Thanks also for the reminder about =~?: I know about
              this variant, but do not always remember to use it.

              --Benji Fisher