Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: matchit.vim et cetera

Expand Messages
  • Bram Moolenaar
    ... Eh, why? If you leave out b it will search forward. ... That s a matter of taste. ... Yes. All the files are in the Unix src and the extra archives.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > 2. request: it would be convenient if search() had a flag giving the
      > default (forward) behavior, as in
      >
      > :call search("foo", "f")

      Eh, why? If you leave out "b" it will search forward.

      > In fact, I would prefer "?" and "/" instead of "b" and "f".

      That's a matter of taste.

      > 3. compilation woes: The README files say that there is a vim*.zip file
      > containing the sources for dos-like systems. I could not find this for
      > vim 6.0q; are these distributions only made for use releases?

      Yes. All the files are in the Unix src and the extra archives. You could
      generate the dos-source archive from this yourself.

      > Using MS VC++ 6.0, I could not compile from the command line (probably
      > because include files were not in my path) so I tried the GUI compiler
      > interface. According to the docs, this should compile gvim by default, but
      > I got the console version.

      For the command line to work you need to run "vcvars32" first.

      For gvim you need to use Make_gvc.mak. It can be converted into a project to
      use in the VC-GUI. Make_mvc.mak produces a console version by default, but
      can also make other versions. I don't think it can be converted into a
      project, which makes debugging difficult. (I only have MSVC 5.0, but I don't
      think 6.0 is different).

      --
      hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
      162. You go outside and look for a brightness knob to turn down the sun.

      /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net \\\
      ((( Creator of Vim - http://www.vim.org -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim )))
      \\\ Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org ///
    • Benji Fisher
      ... 2. It s not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider MyFoo( forward ) and YourFoo( backward ): fun MyFoo(direction) search( foo ,
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > Benji Fisher wrote:
        >
        > > 2. request: it would be convenient if search() had a flag giving the
        > > default (forward) behavior, as in
        > >
        > > :call search("foo", "f")
        >
        > Eh, why? If you leave out "b" it will search forward.
        >
        > > In fact, I would prefer "?" and "/" instead of "b" and "f".
        >
        > That's a matter of taste.
        >
        > > 3. compilation woes: The README files say that there is a vim*.zip file
        > > containing the sources for dos-like systems. I could not find this for
        > > vim 6.0q; are these distributions only made for use releases?
        >
        > Yes. All the files are in the Unix src and the extra archives. You could
        > generate the dos-source archive from this yourself.
        >
        > > Using MS VC++ 6.0, I could not compile from the command line (probably
        > > because include files were not in my path) so I tried the GUI compiler
        > > interface. According to the docs, this should compile gvim by default, but
        > > I got the console version.
        >
        > For the command line to work you need to run "vcvars32" first.
        >
        > For gvim you need to use Make_gvc.mak. It can be converted into a project to
        > use in the VC-GUI. Make_mvc.mak produces a console version by default, but
        > can also make other versions. I don't think it can be converted into a
        > project, which makes debugging difficult. (I only have MSVC 5.0, but I don't
        > think 6.0 is different).

        2. It's not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider
        MyFoo("forward") and YourFoo("backward"):

        fun MyFoo(direction)
        search("foo", a:direction[0])
        endfun

        fun YourFoo(direction)
        if a:direction == "backward"
        let flag = "b"
        else
        let flag = ""
        endif
        search("foo", flag)
        endfun

        3. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll save this for the next time I want to
        compile. Unfortunately, when I run vcvars32, I get "Out of environment
        space" warnings, so I doubt it did any good. Maybe some day I will get
        Linux to talk to my modem and start using a real OS...

        You are right: I used Make_mvc.mak instead of Make_gvc.mak . My
        mistake (or "missed make" ;).
      • Nazri Ramliy
        ... Try adding this into your config.sys: shell=c: windows command.com /e:2048 If I m not mistaken, you can change the value for /e: from 160 to 32768, the
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
        • 0 Attachment
          On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 10:58:23AM -0500, Benji Fisher wrote:
          > 3. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll save this for the next time I want to
          > compile. Unfortunately, when I run vcvars32, I get "Out of environment
          > space" warnings, so I doubt it did any good.
          >

          Try adding this into your config.sys:

          shell=c:\windows\command.com /e:2048

          If I'm not mistaken, you can change the value for '/e:' from 160 to 32768,
          the default DOS uses is 256, 2048 should be plenty for environment variables.


          --
          Nazri
        • Bram Moolenaar
          ... You have to buy more memory! :-) I often get Command line too long errors, and then compiling won t work. I need to remove some things before running
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
          • 0 Attachment
            Benji Fisher wrote:

            > 3. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll save this for the next time I want to
            > compile. Unfortunately, when I run vcvars32, I get "Out of environment
            > space" warnings, so I doubt it did any good.

            You have to buy more memory! :-)

            I often get "Command line too long" errors, and then compiling won't work.
            I need to remove some things before running "vcvars32"...

            --
            hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
            166. You have been on your computer soo long that you didn't realize
            you had grandchildren.

            /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net \\\
            ((( Creator of Vim - http://www.vim.org -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim )))
            \\\ Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org ///
          • c928400@student.dtu.dk
            ... Well, you could require the direction to be specified in a format expected by search(). This way, you can also, easily, use w and W to overrule
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
            • 0 Attachment
              Thus wrote Benji Fisher (benji@...) on [010101]:
              > 2. It's not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider
              > MyFoo("forward") and YourFoo("backward"):

              > fun MyFoo(direction)
              > search("foo", a:direction[0])
              > endfun

              Well, you could require the direction to be specified in a format
              expected by search(). This way, you can also, easily, use "w" and "W"
              to overrule 'wrapscan'.

              > fun YourFoo(direction)
              > if a:direction == "backward"
              > let flag = "b"
              > else
              > let flag = ""
              > endif
              > search("foo", flag)
              > endfun

              If you want to do something this simple, try

              fun AnotherFoo(direction)
              call search("foo", a:direction =~? '^b\(ackward\)\=$' ? "b" : "")
              endfun

              (which happens to include my favorite way of handling cases "b" or
              "backward" case insensitive.)

              Peppe
              --
              "Before you criticize someone, walk
              Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if
              c928400@... (o o) he gets angry, he'll be a mile away
              ----------------------oOOo (_) oOOo-- - and barefoot." --Sarah Jackson
            • Benji Fisher
              ... [snip] ... Of course, what I really have in mind is not that simple! ;) I did say that it is a matter of convenience, so thank you for making it more
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
              • 0 Attachment
                c928400@... wrote:
                >
                > Thus wrote Benji Fisher (benji@...) on [010101]:
                > > 2. It's not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider
                [snip]
                >
                > If you want to do something this simple, try
                >
                > fun AnotherFoo(direction)
                > call search("foo", a:direction =~? '^b\(ackward\)\=$' ? "b" : "")
                > endfun
                >
                > (which happens to include my favorite way of handling cases "b" or
                > "backward" case insensitive.)
                >
                > Peppe

                Of course, what I really have in mind is not that simple! ;)

                I did say that it is a matter of convenience, so thank you for making
                it more convenient. I did not know that C-style ?: had been added to vim
                6.0: what fun! Thanks also for the reminder about =~?: I know about
                this variant, but do not always remember to use it.

                --Benji Fisher
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.