matchit.vim et cetera

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2000
      Hello, Vim Dev!

      I have a few questions and comments about vim 6.0, so I have
      subscribed to vim-dev. I plan to unsubscribe soon because I expect this
      list to tempt me to spend even more time on vim.

      1. matchit.vim: There is now a version for vim 6.0. You can get it from
      my vim page:
      http://sites.netscape.net/BBenjiF/vim/plugin/matchit.vim
      Already, <count>% works from Visual mode (giving the default behavior).
      Next, I plan to use search() to eliminate nasty error messages. I will
      post frequent updates on the web, but I will not bother the list with
      every little change. I am also planning to write the docs in vim help
      format.

      2. request: it would be convenient if search() had a flag giving the
      default (forward) behavior, as in

      :call search("foo", "f")

      In fact, I would prefer "?" and "/" instead of "b" and "f".

      3. compilation woes: The README files say that there is a vim*.zip file
      containing the sources for dos-like systems. I could not find this for
      vim 6.0q; are these distributions only made for use releases? Using MS
      VC++ 6.0, I could not compile from the command line (probably because
      include files were not in my path) so I tried the GUI compiler interface.
      According to the docs, this should compile gvim by default, but I got the
      console version.

      --Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > 2. request: it would be convenient if search() had a flag giving the
        > default (forward) behavior, as in
        >
        > :call search("foo", "f")

        Eh, why? If you leave out "b" it will search forward.

        > In fact, I would prefer "?" and "/" instead of "b" and "f".

        That's a matter of taste.

        > 3. compilation woes: The README files say that there is a vim*.zip file
        > containing the sources for dos-like systems. I could not find this for
        > vim 6.0q; are these distributions only made for use releases?

        Yes. All the files are in the Unix src and the extra archives. You could
        generate the dos-source archive from this yourself.

        > Using MS VC++ 6.0, I could not compile from the command line (probably
        > because include files were not in my path) so I tried the GUI compiler
        > interface. According to the docs, this should compile gvim by default, but
        > I got the console version.

        For the command line to work you need to run "vcvars32" first.

        For gvim you need to use Make_gvc.mak. It can be converted into a project to
        use in the VC-GUI. Make_mvc.mak produces a console version by default, but
        can also make other versions. I don't think it can be converted into a
        project, which makes debugging difficult. (I only have MSVC 5.0, but I don't
        think 6.0 is different).

        162. You go outside and look for a brightness knob to turn down the sun.

      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Benji Fisher wrote:
          >
          > > 2. request: it would be convenient if search() had a flag giving the
          > > default (forward) behavior, as in
          > >
          > > :call search("foo", "f")
          >
          > Eh, why? If you leave out "b" it will search forward.
          >
          > > In fact, I would prefer "?" and "/" instead of "b" and "f".
          >
          > That's a matter of taste.
          >
          > > 3. compilation woes: The README files say that there is a vim*.zip file
          > > containing the sources for dos-like systems. I could not find this for
          > > vim 6.0q; are these distributions only made for use releases?
          >
          > Yes. All the files are in the Unix src and the extra archives. You could
          > generate the dos-source archive from this yourself.
          >
          > > Using MS VC++ 6.0, I could not compile from the command line (probably
          > > because include files were not in my path) so I tried the GUI compiler
          > > interface. According to the docs, this should compile gvim by default, but
          > > I got the console version.
          >
          > For the command line to work you need to run "vcvars32" first.
          >
          > For gvim you need to use Make_gvc.mak. It can be converted into a project to
          > use in the VC-GUI. Make_mvc.mak produces a console version by default, but
          > can also make other versions. I don't think it can be converted into a
          > project, which makes debugging difficult. (I only have MSVC 5.0, but I don't
          > think 6.0 is different).

          2. It's not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider
          MyFoo("forward") and YourFoo("backward"):

          fun MyFoo(direction)
          search("foo", a:direction[0])
          endfun

          fun YourFoo(direction)
          if a:direction == "backward"
          let flag = "b"
          else
          let flag = ""
          endif
          search("foo", flag)
          endfun

          3. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll save this for the next time I want to
          compile. Unfortunately, when I run vcvars32, I get "Out of environment
          space" warnings, so I doubt it did any good. Maybe some day I will get
          Linux to talk to my modem and start using a real OS...

          You are right: I used Make_mvc.mak instead of Make_gvc.mak . My
          mistake (or "missed make" ;).
        • Nazri Ramliy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
            On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 10:58:23AM -0500, Benji Fisher wrote:
            > 3. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll save this for the next time I want to
            > compile. Unfortunately, when I run vcvars32, I get "Out of environment
            > space" warnings, so I doubt it did any good.

            Try adding this into your config.sys:

            shell=c:\windows\command.com /e:2048

            If I'm not mistaken, you can change the value for '/e:' from 160 to 32768,
            the default DOS uses is 256, 2048 should be plenty for environment variables.

            --
            Nazri
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2001
              Benji Fisher wrote:

              > 3. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll save this for the next time I want to
              > compile. Unfortunately, when I run vcvars32, I get "Out of environment
              > space" warnings, so I doubt it did any good.

              You have to buy more memory! :-)

              I often get "Command line too long" errors, and then compiling won't work.
              I need to remove some things before running "vcvars32"...

              166. You have been on your computer soo long that you didn't realize
              you had grandchildren.

            • c928400@student.dtu.dk
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
                Thus wrote Benji Fisher (benji@...) on [010101]:
                > 2. It's not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider
                > MyFoo("forward") and YourFoo("backward"):

                > fun MyFoo(direction)
                > search("foo", a:direction[0])
                > endfun

                Well, you could require the direction to be specified in a format
                expected by search(). This way, you can also, easily, use "w" and "W"
                to overrule 'wrapscan'.

                > fun YourFoo(direction)
                > if a:direction == "backward"
                > let flag = "b"
                > else
                > let flag = ""
                > endif
                > search("foo", flag)
                > endfun

                If you want to do something this simple, try

                fun AnotherFoo(direction)
                call search("foo", a:direction =~? '^b\(ackward\)\=$' ? "b" : "")
                endfun

                (which happens to include my favorite way of handling cases "b" or
                "backward" case insensitive.)

                Peppe
                --
                "Before you criticize someone, walk
                Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
                  c928400@... wrote:

                  > Thus wrote Benji Fisher (benji@...) on [010101]:
                  > > 2. It's not a big deal, just a matter of convenience. Consider
                  [snip]

                  > If you want to do something this simple, try
                  >
                  > fun AnotherFoo(direction)
                  > call search("foo", a:direction =~? '^b\(ackward\)\=$' ? "b" : "")
                  > endfun
                  >
                  > (which happens to include my favorite way of handling cases "b" or
                  > "backward" case insensitive.)
                  >
                  > Peppe

                  Of course, what I really have in mind is not that simple! ;)

                  I did say that it is a matter of convenience, so thank you for making
                  it more convenient. I did not know that C-style ?: had been added to vim
                  6.0: what fun! Thanks also for the reminder about =~?: I know about
                  this variant, but do not always remember to use it.

                  --Benji Fisher