Vim IDE

  • Andrew & Erin Freeman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2000
      A while back there were discussions of integrating Vim into an IDE.
      However, now that Vim has a vertical split window, it would be fairly easy
      to have Vim be its own IDE. There are several scripts for buffer and file
      exploration already available for Vim so why not a Vim Workspace and a Vim
      Project exploration script? Also, with the new Plugin mechanism, it would
      be fairly easy to extend the basic Vim IDE framework so that it does more
      complex tasks.

      Andy
    • Andy Kahn
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2000
        On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 12:00:23PM -0500, Andrew & Erin Freeman wrote:
        > A while back there were discussions of integrating Vim into an IDE.
        > However, now that Vim has a vertical split window, it would be fairly easy
        > to have Vim be its own IDE. There are several scripts for buffer and file
        > exploration already available for Vim so why not a Vim Workspace and a Vim
        > Project exploration script? Also, with the new Plugin mechanism, it would
        > be fairly easy to extend the basic Vim IDE framework so that it does more
        > complex tasks.

        Writing these scripts would be great. Go for it! :)
        --andy
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2000
          Andrew Freeman wrote:

          > A while back there were discussions of integrating Vim into an IDE.
          > However, now that Vim has a vertical split window, it would be fairly easy
          > to have Vim be its own IDE. There are several scripts for buffer and file
          > exploration already available for Vim so why not a Vim Workspace and a Vim
          > Project exploration script? Also, with the new Plugin mechanism, it would
          > be fairly easy to extend the basic Vim IDE framework so that it does more
          > complex tasks.

          And while we are at it, also add a window for reading news. And a HTML viewer
          would be useful too. And... This never stops! :-)

          It would be fine to include Vim in an IDE, but Vim is _not_ and IDE itself.
          Although you can use Vim for most things that an IDE can do, but that's up to
          you.

          145. You e-mail your boss, informing him you'll be late.

        • Alexander Wagner
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2000
            On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 21:04:04 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            Hi!

            > And while we are at it, also add a window for reading
            > news. And a HTML viewer would be useful too. And...
            > This never stops! :-)

            This stops. Vim shouln't be like emacs.

            (But as you speak of HTML, well one could steal this from
            elvis, they do it quite good and some other formats (TeX,
            man) as well. Thats' why I use elvis as man-viewer on
            OS/2...)

            > It would be fine to include Vim in an IDE, but Vim is
            > _not_ and IDE itself.

            Agree!!!

            > Although you can use Vim for most things that an IDE can
            > do, but that's up to you.

            Yes, and that's the nice thing about. !of works great,
            and vim loves the WPS... ;)

            > -- hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
            > 145. You e-mail your boss, informing him you'll be late.

            What's so strange about this one... I'm rarely late, but
            well, in case... Is there another way to handle it? ;)

            --

            CU/2 (( In the beginning was The Word.
            Alexander Wagner )) And The Word was Content-type: text/plain
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 29, 2000

              Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > And while we are at it, also add a window for reading news.
              > And a HTML viewer would be useful too. And... This never stops! :-)

              Okay, that apparently was not expressed the way I meant it.

              Yes, I agree with you that there is a limit to what Vim should have
              directly integrated in to it. Vim _is_ a text editor after all not an
              Emacs. ;)

              What I was trying to suggest is that we could develop a _script_ that
              provides a basic IDE window, not that Vim itself should be the IDE. I
              was thinking that this would be at the very, very least an interesting
              experiment with what could be done with folding, and plugins.

              It was just a thought. Shoot it down if you wish.

              Andy
            • Devin Weaver
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
                On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 07:21:42PM -0500, Andrew Freeman wrote:
                > > > A while back there were discussions of integrating Vim into an IDE.

                You CAN'T!!! Well actually you could but I've yet to see a single IDE
                orientated person even give a damn about using a custom text editor.
                You see Any company of person (That I know of) who builds an IDE
                just can't conceive you using anything else.

                Besides every person I've ever asked who used an IDE said "That is the
                editor! What are you talking about alternate editor? That pulldown you
                get for package completion is the text editor!"

                For fscking sake people, I want to
                :%s/m_strLameAssName/Cleaner_local_variable_name/gc
                My code darn it!!!

                [... The rest of this thought was unintelligible and included many
                whines and cries. It has been removed for every ones safety ...]

                > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > > And while we are at it, also add a window for reading news.
                > > And a HTML viewer would be useful too. And... This never stops! :-)
                > Okay, that apparently was not expressed the way I meant it.
                >
                > Yes, I agree with you that there is a limit to what Vim should have
                > directly integrated in to it.
                > Vim _is_ a text editor after all not an Emacs. ;)

                Oh yes and with the new plugin features... Oh but wait corporate will
                never go for that idea! To think a 867,820 KB program that edits text!
                We better add e-mail, HTML viewer... Remember corporate loves stupid
                things. Oh and don't forget the dancing happy face when the following
                code is entered in:
                try
                {
                [...]
                }
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                throw new GenericException
                ("You'll never get a Stack Trace now! Muahahaha!");
                }

                [... Please! Someone shoot this boy before the sarcasm kills us all! ...]

                > What I was trying to suggest is that we could develop a _script_ that
                > provides a basic IDE window, not that Vim itself should be the IDE.

                Yes yes! I like that idea. Ooo, what about the pulldown Menes? hmm
                Yes we could use tag completion, Oh wait :set wildmenu makes it
                better! So all that's needed is the package management, and build
                management. Oh wait Ant and make do build management. And all packaging
                is is directory structure. So all in all if we have a wrapper program that
                has a cutesy interface, some wizards, and some program templates. Then
                use Ant or make for the build process (We could even integrate VIM's
                quickfix feature). Have it build proper tag files... Yes yes this
                could work.

                Now wait, doesn't all those 1,000 IDE's out there do this already? Oh
                yeah, you can't use alternate editors. Gods, talk about reinventing the
                wheel!

                > I was thinking that this would be at the very, very least an interesting
                > experiment with what could be done with folding, and plugins.
                > It was just a thought. Shoot it down if you wish.

                Personally I like the thought of challenging all those who shun me for
                using the command line. Teach them I'm just as powerful if not more!

                If you got time to work on that idea all the more power to ya! Mail me
                if you need help with ideas I'd love to help.

                [.. OK the author of this email is done with his freak show. Your
                topic announced, you may discus ...err, I mean, flame as you wish ;-) ...]

                --
                Just about every computer on the market today runs Unix, except the Mac
                (and nobody cares about it).
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2001
                  >Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:29:52 -0500
                  >From: Devin Weaver <ktohg@...>
                  >Subject: Re: Vim IDE
                  >To: vim-dev@...
                  ktohg@... using -f

                  >You CAN'T!!! Well actually you could but I've yet to see a single IDE
                  >orientated person even give a damn about using a custom text editor.
                  >You see Any company of person (That I know of) who builds an IDE
                  >just can't conceive you using anything else.

                  You haven't looked far enough then. Sun's Visual WorkShop development
                  environment allows users to select gvim, vi, xemacs, emacs, or nedit as
                  their editor in the ide. The integration is fairly good too. The editor
                  shows breakpoints, compiler errors and other important information with
                  glyphs in the editor. It also supports control of the ide from a toolbar
                  in the editor (mostly debugger icons but also a few others).

                  All the features added to vim for this ide support were given back to
                  vim.org and are in the 6.0 alpha releases. They features were done so
                  they could be used with any ide which wanted to use vim/gvim as its
                  editor.

                  See ":help debugger" for more detail about the ide features and how to
                  compile them into your vim.

                  Gordon Prieur