Re: Minor problems on OS/2

  • Alexander Wagner
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2000
      On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 19:41:40 +0100, Thomas K=F7hler wrote:

      Hi!

      > > - Extended Attributes of files get lost when editing with
      > > vim.
      > This may be due to the fact that vim renames the file, then writes the
      > file under its old name and after that removes the old file.

      Of course. To fix it one would need to implement handling of
      EA's.

      > Maybe the problem goes away when you set
      > :se nobackup nowritebackup

      Yeno... If you use vim "Pre-6", that is without :set
      backupcopy you'll run into a lot of troubles anyway. The
      main problem with this renaming thing is that the WPS keeps
      track of the files that is all your program objects you
      create for e.g. cmd-files will point to the backupcopy
      anyway. Now, as other editors can handle EA's without
      knowing what they are it shouldn't be to difficult to do the
      same with vim. I think the trick is not to delete the
      original file, but I'm not sure about this. (Note: eg. tedit
      doesn't have these problems, but well I'd prefer to use an
      editor ;)

      > > - Clipboard... Well it works in 99.9% but I experience some
      > > trouble while pasting from the OS/2 clipboard to vim in
      > > certain occasions.
      >
      > I'd say this happens because you are not in insert-mode, but in command
      > mode when trying to paste into vim.

      Ah, yes, this would be the easy solution. But I _am_
      definitly in insert mode. Now I could give you a sample as
      well, at lest here I can reproduce it. Take this e-mail, set
      you terminal to mode 80,50 (which is my normal style for
      vim-windows) and mark the whole page from top. Then go to
      the end of the text, toggle to insert and paste it (pressing
      a chord on the mouse) your insertation will not start with

      "On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 19:41:40 +0100, Thomas K=F7hler wrote:"

      as it should, but the first inserted text will be:

      " it works in 99.9% but I experience some"

      and so on. I didn't check thin on other platforms (well
      wouldn't make much sense to test the system clipboard on
      other platfroms if one has a problem with the system
      clipboard of OS/2 ;), but this happens frequently on my OS/2
      boxes in various situations.

      > Now, vim interprets the pasted
      > characters as commands, and it's the first o,O,i,I,a,A,... that starts
      > insert mode - thus, only at this point, vim really sees the input as
      > inserted characters.

      Shure. I stumble accross this sometimes, but not in this
      case.

      > To avoid this, you might want to try to use "*p for pasting from the
      > clipboard, or try ctrl-r* in insert mode (:help i_ctrl-r)

      Ah, that's a good hint, but well the * buffer doesn't work
      on OS/2. :( It would definitly be the solution to my
      problem. (But thanks for pointing out ctrl-r anyway, I didn't
      know about this key.)

      > > - What tries the following message to tell me?
      [...]
      > No idea, sorry.

      Thanks anyway.

      --

      CU/2 (( In the beginning was The Word.
      Alexander Wagner )) And The Word was Content-type: text/plain