RE: New patch against 6.0q, for 'filewriteable' and 'iconv'

  • Ron Aaron (Comforce/RhoTech)
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2000
      > You could also convert with the external iconv program. It's slower, but
      > should be sufficient when using it ocasionally. So, what are the
      situations
      > you really need an iconv() function inside Vim?

      I guess when you get right down to it, there aren't any overriding reasons
      to have it since the external 'iconv' command can basically do the same
      thing.

      It just seems like a waste to have all the iconv() functionality inside vim,
      and to force people to go through an external interface to get to it.

      In any case, the charset mapping remains a problem for people who want to do
      an external iconv!

      Ron