menu settings for newbies [was Re: map to gj by default]

  • raul@workspot.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 28, 2000
      On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 12:05:15PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      hey Bram, happy holidays!!!

      > Raul wrote:

      > > I actually think the "toggle wrap" menu entry should be included
      > > by default.

      > It's probably a good idea to include a menu with the most often used options.
      > This will help beginning users a lot. Perhaps under Edit/Settings?

      > :amenu Edit.Settings.Wrap\ on/off :set wrap!<CR>

      I added a "View" menu entry with just a few entries:
      "wrap lines" for :set wrap!
      "highlight matches" for set hlsearch!
      "toolbar" hides/shows the toolbar

      "few colors" to use very basic colors in those old computers with
      pour video cards
      "normal colors" _MY_ normal configuration of colors (nicer to the
      eyes, but useless when dithered(sp?) by old video cards
      note that I said "MY configuration of colors" maybe there's no
      need for the "few colors" option with the default confs.

      if I had the patience, I would replace those two with:
      "black and white" (:sy off, but fits in here)
      "basic colors (dark)" (for windows with a dark background)
      "basic colors (light)"
      "normal colors (dark)"
      "normal colors (light)"
      these would be under view/colors, or view/themes

      between other entries not worthing to be mentioned.

      > This should be limited to about 15 options, otherwise the menu gets too big.
      > How do we decide which options should be included?

      I think just the most basic ones, those newbies might need.
      complex options could confuse newbies. and advanced users
      don't browse long menus, they rather type.

      > And how to set number options? Hmm, perhaps like this:

      > :amenu Edit.Settings.Max\ Text\ Width :let &tw =
      > \ input("Enter new text width (0 to disable formatting): ")<CR>

      hmm, BTW newbies used to programming IDEs may look for "ts" "sw"
      and "expandtab" too.

      seems it's time to start another thread to vote on this.