RE: Vim 6 and threaded perl 5.6 still don't compile

  • Paul Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2000
      From: Bram@... [mailto:Bram@...]
      > I suppose we just have to keep testing with different Perl versions. I'm
      > using 5.005.03 on FreeBSD and 5.6 on Win32.

      Good. The critical thing is to avoid breaking 5.005 compatibility. I can't
      test that myself as I only have Perl 5.6 (Win32).

      > It's best if a patch can be tested on different Perl versions
      > before I put it in a new release. It's not nice of people can't
      > compile because of including a patch.

      I agree entirely. On the other hand, including the patch is often what
      causes people to test and report issues. It's not easy - I'm happy to trust
      your judgement.

      On a vaguely related note, what are the earliest versions we would be
      expecting to support? For Perl, I'd suggest 5.005_03 and 5.6. For Python,
      I'd suggest 1.5.2, 1.6, and 2.0. These are the ones still in general use
      (AFAIK). The decision to phase out support for earlier versions is something
      we need to be careful of - one thing which would prompt it, I guess, is not
      having anyone who can test against the versions...

      I'll send the patch when 6.0o appears - if you don't have problems with
      5.005_03, and my testing works with 5.6, I think we should be OK.

      Paul.