Explorer.vim in vim 6.0n

  • Mark Waggoner
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
      There was a note regarding the fact that \e doesn't start explorer
      under 6.0n that I accidentally deleted.....

      It looks like the maps were removed for 6.0n since you can simply use
      things like:

      :new .
      :e .

      to open it.

      Also, attached is an updated explorer.vim that allows you to have
      multiple explorer windows open. I've sent it to Aziz, the maintainer,
      but haven't heard anything from him for a while.

      Mark Waggoner waggoner@... (503) 712-3335
      But I think the most likely reason of all
      May have been that his heart was two sizes too small
    • Mark Waggoner
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
        OOps - the explorer.vim I attached used a function that only
        temporarily existed in one of my vim experiments. Repaired version
        re-attached.

        On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Mark Waggoner wrote:

        > There was a note regarding the fact that \e doesn't start explorer
        > under 6.0n that I accidentally deleted.....
        >
        > It looks like the maps were removed for 6.0n since you can simply use
        > things like:
        >
        > :new .
        > :e .
        >
        > to open it.
        >
        > Also, attached is an updated explorer.vim that allows you to have
        > multiple explorer windows open. I've sent it to Aziz, the maintainer,
        > but haven't heard anything from him for a while.

        Mark Waggoner waggoner@... (503) 712-3335
        But I think the most likely reason of all
        May have been that his heart was two sizes too small
      • Bill McCarthy
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
          On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:11:34 -0800 (PST), Mark Waggoner wrote:

          >OOps - the explorer.vim I attached used a function that only
          >temporarily existed in one of my vim experiments. Repaired version
          >re-attached.

          Mark,

          I tried the new smaller version of explorer.vim. When I type `:e .` I
          get the message:

          "C:\vim\vim60n\runtime\plugin\" Illegal file name

          Bill

          This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
        • Mark Waggoner
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
            Hmmm, well I didn't test it on windows before sending it because I
            didn't have a vim 6 for windows. I just went and got Ron Aaron's
            precompiled binary and tried it out. I didn't get the same error
            message you got, which looks suspiciously like the plugin didn't get
            loaded, but I did get other errors. You might want to make sure your
            plugin is really getting loaded by setting verbose.

            Now to the errors I did get.

            It seems that you can't do a ":chdir ." on vim for windows. Anyone
            know why not? isdirectory(".") returns true, but :chdir . results in

            Can't find directory "." in cdpath
            Command Failed

            In fact, my explorer.vim plugin actually caused gvim to crash on
            Windows 2000, though I haven't debugged why yet.

            On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Bill McCarthy wrote:

            > On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:11:34 -0800 (PST), Mark Waggoner wrote:
            >
            > >OOps - the explorer.vim I attached used a function that only
            > >temporarily existed in one of my vim experiments. Repaired version
            > >re-attached.
            >
            > Mark,
            >
            > I tried the new smaller version of explorer.vim. When I type `:e .` I
            > get the message:
            >
            > "C:\vim\vim60n\runtime\plugin\" Illegal file name
            >
            > Bill

            Mark Waggoner waggoner@... (503) 712-3335
            Lean back in your easy chair, the Bunny Planet's waiting there
          • Mark Waggoner
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
              The attached explorer.vim works around being unable to "chdir ."
              on windows, but still causes vim to crash using the precompiled 6.0n
              from Ron Aaron's site (http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/alpha.html)

              I don't have the debugging tools for windows to figure out what is
              going on...

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
                I don't use a precompiled 6.0n. I compiled on Win2k using Mingw32. The
                version of explorer.vim distributed with 6.0n works fine.