RE: vim 6 again

  • Vince Negri
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
      Neil Bird wondered:

      > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7? Paging down a
      > perl script in 5.7 is pretty nippy; in 6 it's nearly painful.

      This sort of comment came up before and provoked a discussion about
      how to benchmark vim to assess the effectiveness of speedups...

      This is with syntax highlighting on, I presume? Compare performance
      with syntax highlighting off, so as to see if it's Vim generally that's
      slower or the syntax highlighting.

      The earlier complaint was also that
      syntax highlighting had got slower, which was worrying because one
      of the changes for Vim 6 has been a load of work by Bram to speed
      it up!

      Vince

    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
        Neil Bird wrote:

        > Just this last one today then I'll clam up for a bit :-)
        >
        > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7? Paging down a
        > perl script in 5.7 is pretty nippy; in 6 it's nearly painful.

        Not for me, I don't see any difference in speed. Note, I don't use
        perl and am not suggesting it is related. Just a different env, I guess.

        ---Zdenek
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
          Neil Bird wrote:

          > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7? Paging down a
          > perl script in 5.7 is pretty nippy; in 6 it's nearly painful.
          >
          > Same compilation optimisations, etc. Is there a lot of of alpha-type
          > debug and stuff?

          There is no debugging stuff in the code.

          Does the slowness go away when disabling syntax highlighting? If so, try
          using the Vim 5.7 Perl syntax highlighting with Vim 6.0.

          For syntax highlighting, adding a single item sometimes makes it a lot slower.
          It's up to the maintainer of the syntax file to check for this.

          --
          Q: How does a UNIX Guru pick up a girl?
          A: look; grep; which; eval; nice; uname; talk; date;

        • David Young
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
            On my system, VIM 6.0m compiled to -lefence, the Electric Fence library
            for debugging malloc/free, by default. That will hurt performance
            very badly.

            Dave

            --
            David Young On the Job Consulting
            dyoung@... Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
              Vince Negri wrote:
              > Neil Bird wondered:
              > > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7?
              >
              > This sort of comment came up before and provoked a discussion about
              > how to benchmark vim to assess the effectiveness of speedups...

              Yes, as expected, this is with syntax colouring. To be more precise,
              it's in a newish colour xterm.

              The comparison may not have been entirely fair, since I've noticed that
              the perl syntax colouring has always been more sluggish that the others,
              but that was the first biggest file to hand - I was just paging up/down a
              lot.

              It seems as if turning off syntax colouring levels things out, so it's
              at least to /do/ with that.

              However, I have noticed two build differences, which I'll investigate
              further: my 5.7 vim has basic Motif GUI support built in (I thought I'd
              turned it off - I used to try to do a 'vim' build with no GUI [but X11
              clipboard], and then a 'gvim' with GTK+ GUI). Dunno how my 5.7 vim managed
              to get Motif GUI in it :-/

              Anyway, the 6.0 was compiled up with GTK+, so I'll try that out first
              (shouldn't make a difference, but you never know). In fact, I tended away
              from splitting the two builds since the main reason was to reduce 'vim'
              exe. size, and there wasn't much in it in the end!

              The other difference is that I now use libncurses, which could (but
              mayhaps shouldn't) easily affect it (i.e., it's in 6.0 but not 5.7). I'll
              try that afterwards too.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
                Neil Bird wrote:
                > > > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7?

                Hmph. I can't now detect much of a difference. Perl files feel a
                *little* slower under 6.0 that 5.7. Maybe.

                [T]CSH format is the other big slowy, and that also feels a little
                slower under 6.0, but nowhere near as much as I seemed to be experiencing
                last week.

                Such is life ...