vim 6 again

  • Neil Bird
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
      Just this last one today then I'll clam up for a bit :-)

      Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7? Paging down a
      perl script in 5.7 is pretty nippy; in 6 it's nearly painful.

      Same compilation optimisations, etc. Is there a lot of of alpha-type
      debug and stuff?

      --
      =====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -====================
      Neil Bird | If this .signature |
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
        Neil Bird wondered:

        > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7? Paging down a
        > perl script in 5.7 is pretty nippy; in 6 it's nearly painful.

        This sort of comment came up before and provoked a discussion about
        how to benchmark vim to assess the effectiveness of speedups...

        This is with syntax highlighting on, I presume? Compare performance
        with syntax highlighting off, so as to see if it's Vim generally that's
        slower or the syntax highlighting.

        The earlier complaint was also that
        syntax highlighting had got slower, which was worrying because one
        of the changes for Vim 6 has been a load of work by Bram to speed
        it up!

        Vince

      • Zdenek Sekera
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
          Neil Bird wrote:

          > Just this last one today then I'll clam up for a bit :-)
          >
          > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7? Paging down a
          > perl script in 5.7 is pretty nippy; in 6 it's nearly painful.

          Not for me, I don't see any difference in speed. Note, I don't use
          perl and am not suggesting it is related. Just a different env, I guess.

          ---Zdenek
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
            Neil Bird wrote:

            > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7? Paging down a
            > perl script in 5.7 is pretty nippy; in 6 it's nearly painful.
            >
            > Same compilation optimisations, etc. Is there a lot of of alpha-type
            > debug and stuff?

            There is no debugging stuff in the code.

            Does the slowness go away when disabling syntax highlighting? If so, try
            using the Vim 5.7 Perl syntax highlighting with Vim 6.0.

            For syntax highlighting, adding a single item sometimes makes it a lot slower.
            It's up to the maintainer of the syntax file to check for this.

            --
            Q: How does a UNIX Guru pick up a girl?
            A: look; grep; which; eval; nice; uname; talk; date;

          • David Young
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
              On my system, VIM 6.0m compiled to -lefence, the Electric Fence library
              for debugging malloc/free, by default. That will hurt performance
              very badly.

              Dave

              On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 04:08:21PM +0000, Neil Bird wrote:

              > Just this last one today then I'll clam up for a bit :-)
              >

              > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7? Paging down a
              > perl script in 5.7 is pretty nippy; in 6 it's nearly painful.
              >
              > Same compilation optimisations, etc. Is there a lot of of alpha-type
              > debug and stuff?
              >
              > --
              > =====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -====================
              > Neil Bird | If this .signature |
              > work mailto:neil.bird@... | looks pants, then | $> cd /pub
              > personal mailto:neil@... | stop using Outlook! | $> more beer

              --
              David Young On the Job Consulting
              dyoung@... Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
                Vince Negri wrote:
                > Neil Bird wondered:
                > > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7?
                >
                > This sort of comment came up before and provoked a discussion about
                > how to benchmark vim to assess the effectiveness of speedups...

                Yes, as expected, this is with syntax colouring. To be more precise,
                it's in a newish colour xterm.

                The comparison may not have been entirely fair, since I've noticed that
                the perl syntax colouring has always been more sluggish that the others,
                but that was the first biggest file to hand - I was just paging up/down a
                lot.

                It seems as if turning off syntax colouring levels things out, so it's
                at least to /do/ with that.

                However, I have noticed two build differences, which I'll investigate
                further: my 5.7 vim has basic Motif GUI support built in (I thought I'd
                turned it off - I used to try to do a 'vim' build with no GUI [but X11
                clipboard], and then a 'gvim' with GTK+ GUI). Dunno how my 5.7 vim managed
                to get Motif GUI in it :-/

                Anyway, the 6.0 was compiled up with GTK+, so I'll try that out first
                (shouldn't make a difference, but you never know). In fact, I tended away
                from splitting the two builds since the main reason was to reduce 'vim'
                exe. size, and there wasn't much in it in the end!

                The other difference is that I now use libncurses, which could (but
                mayhaps shouldn't) easily affect it (i.e., it's in 6.0 but not 5.7). I'll
                try that afterwards too.

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2000
                  Neil Bird wrote:
                  > > > Is it just me, or is it a hell of a lot slower than 5.7?

                  Hmph. I can't now detect much of a difference. Perl files feel a
                  *little* slower under 6.0 that 5.7. Maybe.

                  [T]CSH format is the other big slowy, and that also feels a little
                  slower under 6.0, but nowhere near as much as I seemed to be experiencing
                  last week.

                  Such is life ...