[slightly OT] New Riders book?

  • Vince Negri
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2000
      Out of curiosity, how many people here have been contacted
      by New Riders about a forthcoming book on Vim? I was and
      assumed they'd got my name by snooping the vim-dev list
      and "credits" section...

      --
      Vince Negri (vnegri@...)
      Application Solutions Ltd. Tel:+44(0)1273-476608 Fax:+44(0)1273-478888

    • Thomas Köhler
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2000
        On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 02:23:51PM -0000,
        Vince Negri <vnegri@...> wrote:

        > Out of curiosity, how many people here have been contacted
        > by New Riders about a forthcoming book on Vim? I was and
        > assumed they'd got my name by snooping the vim-dev list
        > and "credits" section...

        Well, I was too, and reading the content again:
        "Bram Moolenaar suggested tha+t I contact you."

        Perhaps it was Bram? :-)

        (and after replying "yes, I'd be willing to review that book" I got a
        response "we already have enough people to review this book, perhaps you
        are interested in reviewing other books [list of unix related books
        followed]" - ohwell, once again I said "yes, I'd do so", and here I am,
        still waiting for an answer... Well, perhaps I'll write my own book
        some time in the future so I know that I really get a review done
        eventually ;))

        > Vince Negri (vnegri@...)

        Ciao,
        Thomas

        IRC: jeanluc | on All Real
      • Vince Negri
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
          > Thomas Köhler [SMTP:jean-luc@...] wrote:
          > > Out of curiosity, how many people here have been contacted
          > > by New Riders about a forthcoming book on Vim? I was and

          > Well, I was too, and reading the content again:
          > "Bram Moolenaar suggested tha+t I contact you."

          Interestingly the post _I_ got did not mention Bram, hence
          my original query... perhaps there were two separate
          mailshots, and yours was part of the second wave???

          Puzzled as to why I would be in the first, as I hadn't been
          very active on the list for a while, and it's not as if I'm
          a renowned book critic. :)

          Vince

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
            Vince Negri wrote:

            > > Thomas K=F6hler [SMTP:jean-luc@...] wrote:
            > > > Out of curiosity, how many people here have been contacted
            > > > by New Riders about a forthcoming book on Vim? I was and
            >
            > > Well, I was too, and reading the content again:
            > > "Bram Moolenaar suggested tha+t I contact you."
            >
            > Interestingly the post _I_ got did not mention Bram, hence
            > my original query... perhaps there were two separate
            > mailshots, and yours was part of the second wave???
            >
            > Puzzled as to why I would be in the first, as I hadn't been
            > very active on the list for a while, and it's not as if I'm
            > a renowned book critic. :)

            To get the mystery out of this: I was already reviewing (technically) the Vim
            book. There was another reviewer, but he dropped out. Newriders asked me if
            I knew someone who could do the reviewing. I gave them a list of people who
            were active on the maillist (they could have looked through the maillist
            archives just as well).

            The reviewing is still going on...

            --
            MESKIMEN'S LAW
            There's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.

          • Zdenek Sekera
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > I was already reviewing (technically) the Vim
              > book.

              Did you like it? 6.0 or previous? lots of tips and examples, or more
              talking?

              ???

              ---Zdenek
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
                Zdenek Sekera wrote:

                > > I was already reviewing (technically) the Vim book.
                >
                > Did you like it? 6.0 or previous? lots of tips and examples, or more
                > talking?

                The book is good for beginners. It also covers the more complicated subjects,
                but you might find more and better info in the on-line help for that.
                I don't like the way subjects are spread out over chapters, but the author
                apparently wants to keep it this way. It should be OK if you read the book
                from start to end, but some things are difficult to find if you want to read
                about a certain subject.

                There are lots of examples.

                --
                Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

              • Vince Negri
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
                  Bram wrote:

                  > The book is good for beginners. It also covers the more complicated
                  subjects,
                  > but you might find more and better info in the on-line help for that.
                  > I don't like the way subjects are spread out over chapters, but the author
                  > apparently wants to keep it this way. It should be OK if you read the
                  book
                  > from start to end, but some things are difficult to find if you want to
                  read
                  > about a certain subject.

                  > There are lots of examples.

                  For the record this was my impression too. It wasn't of much
                  use to me, but I'd happily give my review copy to someone
                  who wanted to learn Vim from scratch. The large number of
                  examples is especially helpful in this regard - there is
                  quite a detailed treatment of making 'errorformat' work
                  with GCC, to give just one. But a reference work for
                  advanced users, no.

                  In general though, I'm happy to see a book out that deals
                  with Vim specifically, as opposed to the O'Reilly Vi
                  book. Anyone trying to learn Vim from the point of it being
                  a Vi clone will miss out a lot.

                • Zdenek Sekera
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2000
                    Vince Negri wrote:

                    > In general though, I'm happy to see a book out that deals
                    > with Vim specifically, as opposed to the O'Reilly Vi
                    > book. Anyone trying to learn Vim from the point of it being
                    > a Vi clone will miss out a lot.

                    Right, I thought O'Reilly isn't really of much use when talking
                    about vim. Except that it was *the first* (to my knowledge) that
                    mentioned it.

                    ---Zdenek