Re: GTK and input in UTF-8 locales

  • Ričardas Čepas
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
      On Fri Dec 1 12:35:01 2000 +0100 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Ricardas Cepas wrote:
      >
      > > I have Vim 6.0n compiled with GTK 1.2.8, XFree 4.01. I can input all
      > > characters in terminal mode in xterm. But some of them, for example „
      > > (e2 80 9e) or “ (e2 80 9c) show as â when I try to input in gvim or
      > > doesn't show at all.
      >
      > Hmm, in Latin-1 I can't see what characters you actually use and see...
      > How do you type these characters in xterm anyway?

      I have them in XKB keymap. For example:

      key <AE09> { [ 9, parenleft ],
      [ doublelowquotemark, parenleft ] };
      key <AE10> { [ 0, parenright ],
      [ leftdoublequotemark, parenright ] };

      > > All characters always show fine if I load a file with them. I use the same
      > > font for 'guifont' as for xterm. This may be as well XFree 4.01 or GTK
      > > problem as I have noticed similiar problem in gimp input (but not in
      > > mozilla). Does anybody have ideas?
      > [...]
      > > +visualextra +viminfo +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 -xfontset -xim +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      >
      > Note the "-xim". Try compiling with XIM support. Although it probably
      > doesn't make a difference if you are using Vim in an xterm.

      I have recompiled with +xim and +fontset but that doesn't make difference except
      new 'Input Method Server is not running' warning. I don't use special input method server.
      I can create file with these characters in xterm and when I open it in GTK GUI it
      displays normally, only input doesn't work for these characters.

      > Also, you can use the "ga" command to see what character is in the text.

      Normally
      8222, Hex 201e, Octal 20036
      8220, Hex 201c, Octal 20034

      after input in GTK GUI I'm getting
      226, Hex 00e2, Octal 342
      226, Hex 00e2, Octal 342
      and have to type Esc two extra times to get out of Insert mode.

      Thank you,
      --
      ☻ Ričardas Čepas ☺
      ~~