Re: sigaltstack

  • Matthew Hawkins
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
      Non FreeBSD-people, hit 'd' now :)

      Ignore my last patch, it's bogus (code only checks for it being defined,
      regardless of whether its set to 1 or 0). This escaped because I had
      stupidly left -lc on in the port Makefile so it linked correctly anyway.

      I was just touching up a less bogus patch (removing sigaltstack from
      AC_CHECK_FUNCS when compiling for FreeBSD with python support) which
      works for me, but seeing as Bram has also solved the problem in the mean
      time there's no point me submitting it.

      Just a quick q though, if the threaded python library (or any threaded
      library for that matter) is being linked in, is -pthread necessary all
      the time or just on the final link? Because right now, its only being
      put in on the final link. I haven't seen any problems yet, just
      curious...

      The good news is that I've got GTK support working so with any luck
      David will put it back into the port.

      Cheers,

      --
      Matt
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
        Matthew Hawkins wrote:

        > Non FreeBSD-people, hit 'd' now :)
        >
        > Ignore my last patch, it's bogus (code only checks for it being defined,
        > regardless of whether its set to 1 or 0). This escaped because I had
        > stupidly left -lc on in the port Makefile so it linked correctly anyway.
        >
        > I was just touching up a less bogus patch (removing sigaltstack from
        > AC_CHECK_FUNCS when compiling for FreeBSD with python support) which
        > works for me, but seeing as Bram has also solved the problem in the mean
        > time there's no point me submitting it.
        >
        > Just a quick q though, if the threaded python library (or any threaded
        > library for that matter) is being linked in, is -pthread necessary all
        > the time or just on the final link? Because right now, its only being
        > put in on the final link. I haven't seen any problems yet, just
        > curious...

        It's needed for the link command only. But the compilation requires
        -D_THREAD_SAFE. This is easy to do wrong (e.g., when an old .o file is used)
        and there is no warning...

        > The good news is that I've got GTK support working so with any luck
        > David will put it back into the port.

        Was GTK support broken? It always worked for me...

        --
        WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous
        collective.

      • Matthew Hawkins
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
          On Fri, 01 Dec 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Was GTK support broken? It always worked for me...

          It seems only if compiling from the port (/usr/ports/editors/vim6).
          What happens is link.sh removes libXt, and naturally not long after,
          linking fails. The same thing _dosn't_ happen if one simply compiles
          from the tarball.

          I was fixing this for the port maintainer (not a big fan of GTK) when I
          discovered the sigaltstack thing (I wanted python support in my own
          setup, so I added it in and *boom*).

          My fix for the port issue though is nasty (I brute-force -lXt in if
          building with GTK support) but it works. Hopefully David will accept it
          anyway.

          --
          Matt
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2000
            Matthew Hawkins wrote:

            > On Fri, 01 Dec 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > Was GTK support broken? It always worked for me...
            >
            > It seems only if compiling from the port (/usr/ports/editors/vim6).
            > What happens is link.sh removes libXt, and naturally not long after,
            > linking fails. The same thing _dosn't_ happen if one simply compiles
            > from the tarball.

            I don't see how link.sh can remove a library and make linking fail. If
            linking fails, link.sh won't remove the library.

            I'm using FreeBSD myself, and it all works fine for me. I wonder what strange
            thing the port does to break it?

            > I was fixing this for the port maintainer (not a big fan of GTK) when I
            > discovered the sigaltstack thing (I wanted python support in my own
            > setup, so I added it in and *boom*).
            >
            > My fix for the port issue though is nasty (I brute-force -lXt in if
            > building with GTK support) but it works. Hopefully David will accept it
            > anyway.

            Please send problems for Vim itself to me. The FreeBSD port shouldn't contain
            any patches for the code, since Vim compiles fine without.

            --
            FATHER: You killed eight wedding guests in all!
            LAUNCELOT: Er, Well ... the thing is ... I thought your son was a lady.