Vim 6 goodies list?

  • Neil Bird
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
      Is there, or will there be, a decent summary of vim 6 goodies [from
      booth normal & power user perspectives]? (if there isn't, don't waste any
      time typing one in just for a reply to this!)

      I've had way too much work to do to be able to keep up in the way I'd
      want, but I've seen hints of some rather nice ideas - there's the obvious
      horiz-split stuff, but there's been talk of plugins & the like.

      How stable /is/ 6 ATM?

      --
      =====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -====================
      Neil Bird | If this .signature |
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
        Neil Bird wrote:

        > Is there, or will there be, a decent summary of vim 6 goodies [from
        > booth normal & power user perspectives]? (if there isn't, don't waste any
        > time typing one in just for a reply to this!)
        >
        > I've had way too much work to do to be able to keep up in the way I'd
        > want, but I've seen hints of some rather nice ideas - there's the obvious
        > horiz-split stuff, but there's been talk of plugins & the like.
        >
        > How stable /is/ 6 ATM?

        Can't help with the first part, had the same problem as you had but as
        far
        as the stability of 6.0 I am most impressed. After some tries I switched
        completely to 6.0 and keep 5.7 for "just in case" but I don't believe
        I'll ever need it anymore. I'm, of course, installing every new 6.0x as
        it
        comes but its worth every minute lost on the install. But even install
        is
        so easy (your mileage may vary depending on features you include, I
        guess)
        that I just have wraparound script that does all. 6.0 has so much good
        stuff
        (that I'm discovering as the time goes) there is no point to stay with
        the "old".

        Congratulations to Bram for the most stable alpha of anything I've ever
        used!

        ---Zdenek
      • c928400@student.dtu.dk
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
          Thus wrote Neil Bird (neil.bird@...) on [001201]:

          > Is there, or will there be, a decent summary of vim 6 goodies [from
          > booth normal & power user perspectives]? (if there isn't, don't waste any
          > time typing one in just for a reply to this!)

          Download the runtime part of a late alpha version and have a look at
          version6.txt in the doc directory.

          Peppe
          --
          "Before you criticize someone, walk
          Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
            The most powerful new feature is of course the new Windows 3.1 port.
            ;-)
            ;-)
            ;-)
            ;-)
            ;-)
            ;-)
            ;-)
            ;-)

            please don't hit me.

            Vince

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000

              See http://www.vim.org/docnew/version6.txt

              > How stable /is/ 6 ATM?

              Reasonably. But I'm changing it all the time, thus recently changed code
              might contain problems...

              --
              WOMAN: King of the who?
              ARTHUR: The Britons.

            • Paul Moore
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
                From: Bram@... [mailto:Bram@...]
                > > How stable /is/ 6 ATM?
                >
                > Reasonably. But I'm changing it all the time, thus recently changed code
                > might contain problems...

                You ought to be aware that Bram's definition of "reasonably stable" equates
                to a more stable state than many people's idea of "ready for release" :-)

                I have always used the latest available versions of Vim - I'm currently
                running 6.0n, and I have never encountered any real problems. In particular,
                Vim has NEVER lost data on me.

                Rock-solid stability is one of the features of Vim which is very rarely
                advertised, but is incredibly valuable. Thanks, Bram.

                Paul.