Re: FW: A message from the Scheme Underground ...

  • Nick Moffitt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29 2:54 PM
      begin Brent Fulgham quotation:
      > > The feature list seems complete wrt. editing task, but what kept
      > > me from finishing the guile integration I cannot see here either:
      > > an asynchronously running scheme interpreter, that could do
      > > socket-IO and the like, maybe in a separate thread even, whose
      > > output could be polled for from within vim...
      > >
      > Yes -- a separate thread could be spawned at boot time for this
      > purpose. What would the purpose of this be? I.e., what
      > functionality would you be looking to implement -- keybindings, or
      > something else?

      One of my biggest gripes with EMACS is that it is
      single-threaded. When you have a large bunch of elisp running in one
      buffer, all of EMACS is hung. When you have something asking for
      input, very often you want to go poking through other buffers and
      lists and things to get the input you're looking for, but you can't
      because it's blocking on your input.

      Being able to run normal vim commands while a large bunch of
      scheme is running would make having an embedded scripting language
      more bearable.

      Pigdog.Org - The Online Handbook for Bad People of the Future

      You are not entitled to your opinions.