RE: Dynamic link with perl and python (vim60k-w32)

  • Moore, Paul
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
      From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
      > There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this
      > not specific to Activestate Perl?

      No, there should be nothing specific to ActiveState these days - the
      ActiveState build is identical to Perl core. The prototype changes make the
      code work with the latest version of Perl (5.6), whereas the previous code
      was compatible with the old version (5.005).

      Paul.
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
        Paul Moore wrote:

        > From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
        > > There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this
        > > not specific to Activestate Perl?
        >
        > No, there should be nothing specific to ActiveState these days - the
        > ActiveState build is identical to Perl core. The prototype changes make the
        > code work with the latest version of Perl (5.6), whereas the previous code
        > was compatible with the old version (5.005).

        Aha. Perhaps there is a more generic #ifdef to be used then?

        9. All your daydreaming is preoccupied with getting a faster connection to the
        net: 28.8...ISDN...cable modem...T1...T3.

      • Ron Aaron
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
          Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
          >> > There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this
          >> > not specific to Activestate Perl?

          I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
          site:

          http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe

          It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
          to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you do
          if you want to use the perl or python interfaces. In which case, you will
          want to install the ActiveState versions of same:

          http://www.activestate.com/

          The patch to 'Make_ming.mak' is attached here; NOTE: I had to cross compile
          from Linux, because for some reason, the make on Win32 didn't accept e.g.:

          -DBLAH=\"a string\"

          and I couldn't figure out how to get that part working (which it does, just
          fine, on Linux).

          Enjoy,
          ROn
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
            Ron Aaron wrote:

            > I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
            > site:
            >
            > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
            >
            > It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
            > to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you
            > do if you want to use the perl or python interfaces. In which case, you
            > will want to install the ActiveState versions of same:
            >
            > http://www.activestate.com/
            >
            > The patch to 'Make_ming.mak' is attached here;

            I'll merge it in. It seems part of the previous patch is also needed.

            > NOTE: I had to cross compile from Linux, because for some reason, the make
            > on Win32 didn't accept e.g.:
            >
            > -DBLAH=\"a string\"
            >
            > and I couldn't figure out how to get that part working (which it does, just
            > fine, on Linux).

            Doesn't this work:
            -DBLAH="a string"

            I suspect the backslashes work differently on Windows.

            13. You refer to going to the bathroom as downloading.

          • Moore, Paul
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
              From: Ron Aaron [mailto:ron@...]
              > The patch to 'Make_ming.mak' is attached here; NOTE: I had to cross
              > compile from Linux, because for some reason, the make on Win32
              > didn't accept e.g.:
              >
              > -DBLAH=\"a string\"
              >
              > and I couldn't figure out how to get that part working (which
              > it does, just fine, on Linux).

              Try "-DBLAH=\"a string\"" (with the outer quotes as well...)

              Paul.
            • Dan Sharp
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                Ron Aaron wrote:

                > I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                > site:
                >
                > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                >
                > It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                > to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you do
                > if you want to use the perl or python interfaces.

                Are you sure? I downloaded the file and tried to run it, but I get an
                "Unable to Locate DLL" error that python20.dll could not be found the
                specified path, and so the program will not load. I have perl 5.6 and
                python 1.5.2 installed, but I figured if it couldn't find the correct
                version of the python DLL, it would consider it to not be installed and
                disable the python interface.

                Dan Sharp
              • Ron Aaron
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                  Dan Sharp <vimuser@...> writes:
                  >Ron Aaron wrote:
                  >

                  >> I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                  >> site:
                  >>
                  >> http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                  >>
                  >> It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                  >> to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you do
                  >> if you want to use the perl or python interfaces.
                  >
                  >Are you sure? I downloaded the file and tried to run it, but I get an
                  >"Unable to Locate DLL" error that python20.dll could not be found the
                  >specified path, and so the program will not load. I have perl 5.6 and
                  >python 1.5.2 installed, but I figured if it couldn't find the correct
                  >version of the python DLL, it would consider it to not be installed and
                  >disable the python interface.

                  Alas, you've found me out! I had the Python and perl installed, so I didn't
                  catch the failure to really dynamically load.

                  I have just uploaded a *new* version, which is *really* dynamically loaded (!)
                  to the same place:

                  http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe

                  Also, I have had to redo my patches. Here are the new, improved patches,
                  against 6.0k *with* the dynamic perl/python patch from that fellow...

                  I have solved the cross-platform problem (e.g. the -Dwhat=\"string\" not
                  working on Win32). The solution is to write a temporary .h file (dyn-ming.h)
                  and include it in the if_python.c and if_perl.xs if using MINGW32. Thanks to
                  those of you who offered suggestions.

                  My make file is also updated. Here's the patches:
                • Dan Sharp
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                    Ron Aaron wrote:

                    > Alas, you've found me out! I had the Python and perl installed, so I didn't
                    > catch the failure to really dynamically load.
                    >
                    > I have just uploaded a *new* version, which is *really* dynamically loaded (!)
                    > to the same place:
                    >
                    > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe

                    That one works much better :) For me, the perl interface worked fine,
                    and it said the python interface was "disable" (the spelling needs to be
                    fixed on that message) since I only had 1.5 installed and it wanted 2.0.

                    Dan Sharp
                  • Ron Aaron
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                      Dan Sharp <vimuser@...> writes:
                      >Ron Aaron wrote:
                      >
                      >> Alas, you've found me out! I had the Python and perl installed, so I didn't
                      >> catch the failure to really dynamically load.
                      >>
                      >> I have just uploaded a *new* version, which is *really* dynamically loaded (!)
                      >> to the same place:
                      >>
                      >> http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                      >
                      >That one works much better :) For me, the perl interface worked fine,
                      >and it said the python interface was "disable" (the spelling needs to be
                      >fixed on that message) since I only had 1.5 installed and it wanted 2.0.
                      >
                      >Dan Sharp

                      Good. You should get the ActiveState Python 2.0 to use with this gvim.exe.
                      If you use another version, I don't know if it will work (probably not!).

                      Have a good weekend,
                      Ron