RE: Dynamic link with perl and python (vim60k-w32)

  • Moore, Paul
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
      From: George V. Reilly [mailto:george@...]
      > I'll freely admit that I haven't dug into the two patches to
      > verify this, but it seems to me that you're duplicating the
      > delayload functionality of the Microsoft VC6 compiler. See
      > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period98/hood1298.htm for
      > a description of how it works.

      That was my first thought as well. However, when I looked, I couldn't see an
      easy way of checking whether a delayloaded call would fail - for instance, I
      don't want the :perl command to pop up a system box saying "Cannot delayload
      <some Perl internal function>" - I want the :perl command to be disabled at
      runtime.

      There's something about hooks in the documentation, but the information is
      sparse, to be polite...

      Regardless, the portability aspect is the killer - I'm just interested for
      my own information.

      Paul.
    • Moore, Paul
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
        From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
        > Hmm, that's 5%. Well, I'll include the patch now. We can
        > decide later if the distributed executable should be compiled
        > with it or not.

        By the way, I had a brief glance at the patch last night. There are two
        points I would raise:

        1. The dynamic loading is not restricted to ActiveState Perl. I'd recommend
        changing the defines - how about DYNAMIC_PERL and DYNAMIC_PYTHON?

        2. I note that the Makefile hard-codes python15.dll - as Python 1.6 and 2.0
        are now available, this is probably a mistake. I'd suggest making the user
        specify the version on the Make command line. I'll take a look in more
        detail in the next day or so, and offer a revised patch, if that's useful.

        Do you want to hold off including this patch, Bram, or should I wait for
        6.0l and submit a patch then?

        Paul.
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
          Paul Moore wrote:

          > By the way, I had a brief glance at the patch last night. There are two
          > points I would raise:
          >
          > 1. The dynamic loading is not restricted to ActiveState Perl. I'd recommend
          > changing the defines - how about DYNAMIC_PERL and DYNAMIC_PYTHON?

          There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this not specific to
          Activestate Perl?

          > 2. I note that the Makefile hard-codes python15.dll - as Python 1.6 and 2.0
          > are now available, this is probably a mistake. I'd suggest making the user
          > specify the version on the Make command line. I'll take a look in more
          > detail in the next day or so, and offer a revised patch, if that's useful.

          Yes. Same for Perl.

          > Do you want to hold off including this patch, Bram, or should I wait for
          > 6.0l and submit a patch then?

          I already included the patch. You could make a diff against 6.0k plus the
          patch. Or wait for 6.0i, whatever you want.

          4. Your eyeglasses have a web site burned in on them.

        • Dan Sharp
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
            Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > George Reilly wrote:
            >
            >> Leveraging the compiler would make the code a lot simpler. Unfortunately, I
            >> don't think the other Win32 compilers that appear to be popular around here
            >> (Borland and Ming) have any support for this kind of thing. VC5 and earlier
            >> certainly don't. Portability makes your patch more desirable.
            >

            > Well, I only have VC 5.0, so I won't be able to use /delayload too. Don't
            > Borland and/or Ming have a similar facility?

            It looks like for Borland 5.5, ilink32.exe has a parameter -d with the
            description "Delay load a .DLL" though I don't know how it compares / if
            it is compatible with the MSVC feature. I don't see a corresponding
            option for Ming, but I am not too familiar with that compiler yet. I
            would imagine, though, that if the feature isn't in GCC in general, then
            Ming wouldn't have it.

            Dan Sharp
          • Moore, Paul
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
              From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
              > There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this
              > not specific to Activestate Perl?

              No, there should be nothing specific to ActiveState these days - the
              ActiveState build is identical to Perl core. The prototype changes make the
              code work with the latest version of Perl (5.6), whereas the previous code
              was compatible with the old version (5.005).

              Paul.
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
                Paul Moore wrote:

                > From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
                > > There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this
                > > not specific to Activestate Perl?
                >
                > No, there should be nothing specific to ActiveState these days - the
                > ActiveState build is identical to Perl core. The prototype changes make the
                > code work with the latest version of Perl (5.6), whereas the previous code
                > was compatible with the old version (5.005).

                Aha. Perhaps there is a more generic #ifdef to be used then?

                9. All your daydreaming is preoccupied with getting a faster connection to the
                net: 28.8...ISDN...cable modem...T1...T3.

              • Ron Aaron
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
                  Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
                  >> > There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this
                  >> > not specific to Activestate Perl?

                  I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                  site:

                  http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe

                  It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                  to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you do
                  if you want to use the perl or python interfaces. In which case, you will
                  want to install the ActiveState versions of same:

                  http://www.activestate.com/

                  The patch to 'Make_ming.mak' is attached here; NOTE: I had to cross compile
                  from Linux, because for some reason, the make on Win32 didn't accept e.g.:

                  -DBLAH=\"a string\"

                  and I couldn't figure out how to get that part working (which it does, just
                  fine, on Linux).

                  Enjoy,
                  ROn
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                    Ron Aaron wrote:

                    > I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                    > site:
                    >
                    > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                    >
                    > It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                    > to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you
                    > do if you want to use the perl or python interfaces. In which case, you
                    > will want to install the ActiveState versions of same:
                    >
                    > http://www.activestate.com/
                    >
                    > The patch to 'Make_ming.mak' is attached here;

                    I'll merge it in. It seems part of the previous patch is also needed.

                    > NOTE: I had to cross compile from Linux, because for some reason, the make
                    > on Win32 didn't accept e.g.:
                    >
                    > -DBLAH=\"a string\"
                    >
                    > and I couldn't figure out how to get that part working (which it does, just
                    > fine, on Linux).

                    Doesn't this work:
                    -DBLAH="a string"

                    I suspect the backslashes work differently on Windows.

                    13. You refer to going to the bathroom as downloading.

                  • Moore, Paul
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                      From: Ron Aaron [mailto:ron@...]
                      > The patch to 'Make_ming.mak' is attached here; NOTE: I had to cross
                      > compile from Linux, because for some reason, the make on Win32
                      > didn't accept e.g.:
                      >
                      > -DBLAH=\"a string\"
                      >
                      > and I couldn't figure out how to get that part working (which
                      > it does, just fine, on Linux).

                      Try "-DBLAH=\"a string\"" (with the outer quotes as well...)

                      Paul.
                    • Dan Sharp
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                        Ron Aaron wrote:

                        > I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                        > site:
                        >
                        > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                        >
                        > It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                        > to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you do
                        > if you want to use the perl or python interfaces.

                        Are you sure? I downloaded the file and tried to run it, but I get an
                        "Unable to Locate DLL" error that python20.dll could not be found the
                        specified path, and so the program will not load. I have perl 5.6 and
                        python 1.5.2 installed, but I figured if it couldn't find the correct
                        version of the python DLL, it would consider it to not be installed and
                        disable the python interface.

                        Dan Sharp
                      • Ron Aaron
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                          Dan Sharp <vimuser@...> writes:
                          >Ron Aaron wrote:
                          >

                          >> I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                          >> site:
                          >>
                          >> http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                          >>
                          >> It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                          >> to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you do
                          >> if you want to use the perl or python interfaces.
                          >
                          >Are you sure? I downloaded the file and tried to run it, but I get an
                          >"Unable to Locate DLL" error that python20.dll could not be found the
                          >specified path, and so the program will not load. I have perl 5.6 and
                          >python 1.5.2 installed, but I figured if it couldn't find the correct
                          >version of the python DLL, it would consider it to not be installed and
                          >disable the python interface.

                          Alas, you've found me out! I had the Python and perl installed, so I didn't
                          catch the failure to really dynamically load.

                          I have just uploaded a *new* version, which is *really* dynamically loaded (!)
                          to the same place:

                          http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe

                          Also, I have had to redo my patches. Here are the new, improved patches,
                          against 6.0k *with* the dynamic perl/python patch from that fellow...

                          I have solved the cross-platform problem (e.g. the -Dwhat=\"string\" not
                          working on Win32). The solution is to write a temporary .h file (dyn-ming.h)
                          and include it in the if_python.c and if_perl.xs if using MINGW32. Thanks to
                          those of you who offered suggestions.

                          My make file is also updated. Here's the patches:
                        • Dan Sharp
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                            Ron Aaron wrote:

                            > Alas, you've found me out! I had the Python and perl installed, so I didn't
                            > catch the failure to really dynamically load.
                            >
                            > I have just uploaded a *new* version, which is *really* dynamically loaded (!)
                            > to the same place:
                            >
                            > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe

                            That one works much better :) For me, the perl interface worked fine,
                            and it said the python interface was "disable" (the spelling needs to be
                            fixed on that message) since I only had 1.5 installed and it wanted 2.0.

                            Dan Sharp
                          • Ron Aaron
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                              Dan Sharp <vimuser@...> writes:
                              >Ron Aaron wrote:
                              >
                              >> Alas, you've found me out! I had the Python and perl installed, so I didn't
                              >> catch the failure to really dynamically load.
                              >>
                              >> I have just uploaded a *new* version, which is *really* dynamically loaded (!)
                              >> to the same place:
                              >>
                              >> http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                              >
                              >That one works much better :) For me, the perl interface worked fine,
                              >and it said the python interface was "disable" (the spelling needs to be
                              >fixed on that message) since I only had 1.5 installed and it wanted 2.0.
                              >
                              >Dan Sharp

                              Good. You should get the ActiveState Python 2.0 to use with this gvim.exe.
                              If you use another version, I don't know if it will work (probably not!).

                              Have a good weekend,
                              Ron