Re: Dynamic link with perl and python (vim60k-w32)

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
      George Reilly wrote:

      > I'll freely admit that I haven't dug into the two patches to verify this,
      > but it seems to me that you're duplicating the delayload functionality of
      > the Microsoft VC6 compiler. See
      > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period98/hood1298.htm for a
      > description of how it works.

      The /delayload functionality certainly is very useful. It avoids all the
      manual GetProcAddress() calls.

      > Leveraging the compiler would make the code a lot simpler. Unfortunately, I
      > don't think the other Win32 compilers that appear to be popular around here
      > (Borland and Ming) have any support for this kind of thing. VC5 and earlier
      > certainly don't. Portability makes your patch more desirable.

      Well, I only have VC 5.0, so I won't be able to use /delayload too. Don't
      Borland and/or Ming have a similar facility?

      --
      A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time

    • Moore, Paul
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
        From: George V. Reilly [mailto:george@...]
        > I'll freely admit that I haven't dug into the two patches to
        > verify this, but it seems to me that you're duplicating the
        > delayload functionality of the Microsoft VC6 compiler. See
        > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period98/hood1298.htm for
        > a description of how it works.

        That was my first thought as well. However, when I looked, I couldn't see an
        easy way of checking whether a delayloaded call would fail - for instance, I
        don't want the :perl command to pop up a system box saying "Cannot delayload
        <some Perl internal function>" - I want the :perl command to be disabled at
        runtime.

        There's something about hooks in the documentation, but the information is
        sparse, to be polite...

        Regardless, the portability aspect is the killer - I'm just interested for
        my own information.

        Paul.
      • Moore, Paul
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
          From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
          > Hmm, that's 5%. Well, I'll include the patch now. We can
          > decide later if the distributed executable should be compiled
          > with it or not.

          By the way, I had a brief glance at the patch last night. There are two
          points I would raise:

          1. The dynamic loading is not restricted to ActiveState Perl. I'd recommend
          changing the defines - how about DYNAMIC_PERL and DYNAMIC_PYTHON?

          2. I note that the Makefile hard-codes python15.dll - as Python 1.6 and 2.0
          are now available, this is probably a mistake. I'd suggest making the user
          specify the version on the Make command line. I'll take a look in more
          detail in the next day or so, and offer a revised patch, if that's useful.

          Do you want to hold off including this patch, Bram, or should I wait for
          6.0l and submit a patch then?

          Paul.
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
            Paul Moore wrote:

            > By the way, I had a brief glance at the patch last night. There are two
            > points I would raise:
            >
            > 1. The dynamic loading is not restricted to ActiveState Perl. I'd recommend
            > changing the defines - how about DYNAMIC_PERL and DYNAMIC_PYTHON?

            There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this not specific to
            Activestate Perl?

            > 2. I note that the Makefile hard-codes python15.dll - as Python 1.6 and 2.0
            > are now available, this is probably a mistake. I'd suggest making the user
            > specify the version on the Make command line. I'll take a look in more
            > detail in the next day or so, and offer a revised patch, if that's useful.

            Yes. Same for Perl.

            > Do you want to hold off including this patch, Bram, or should I wait for
            > 6.0l and submit a patch then?

            I already included the patch. You could make a diff against 6.0k plus the
            patch. Or wait for 6.0i, whatever you want.

            4. Your eyeglasses have a web site burned in on them.

          • Dan Sharp
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > George Reilly wrote:
              >
              >> Leveraging the compiler would make the code a lot simpler. Unfortunately, I
              >> don't think the other Win32 compilers that appear to be popular around here
              >> (Borland and Ming) have any support for this kind of thing. VC5 and earlier
              >> certainly don't. Portability makes your patch more desirable.
              >

              > Well, I only have VC 5.0, so I won't be able to use /delayload too. Don't
              > Borland and/or Ming have a similar facility?

              It looks like for Borland 5.5, ilink32.exe has a parameter -d with the
              description "Delay load a .DLL" though I don't know how it compares / if
              it is compatible with the MSVC feature. I don't see a corresponding
              option for Ming, but I am not too familiar with that compiler yet. I
              would imagine, though, that if the feature isn't in GCC in general, then
              Ming wouldn't have it.

              Dan Sharp
            • Moore, Paul
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
                From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
                > There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this
                > not specific to Activestate Perl?

                No, there should be nothing specific to ActiveState these days - the
                ActiveState build is identical to Perl core. The prototype changes make the
                code work with the latest version of Perl (5.6), whereas the previous code
                was compatible with the old version (5.005).

                Paul.
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
                  Paul Moore wrote:

                  > From: Bram Moolenaar [mailto:Bram@...]
                  > > There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this
                  > > not specific to Activestate Perl?
                  >
                  > No, there should be nothing specific to ActiveState these days - the
                  > ActiveState build is identical to Perl core. The prototype changes make the
                  > code work with the latest version of Perl (5.6), whereas the previous code
                  > was compatible with the old version (5.005).

                  Aha. Perhaps there is a more generic #ifdef to be used then?

                  9. All your daydreaming is preoccupied with getting a faster connection to the
                  net: 28.8...ISDN...cable modem...T1...T3.

                • Ron Aaron
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2000
                    Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
                    >> > There are also a few changed function prototypes. Is this
                    >> > not specific to Activestate Perl?

                    I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                    site:

                    http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe

                    It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                    to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you do
                    if you want to use the perl or python interfaces. In which case, you will
                    want to install the ActiveState versions of same:

                    http://www.activestate.com/

                    The patch to 'Make_ming.mak' is attached here; NOTE: I had to cross compile
                    from Linux, because for some reason, the make on Win32 didn't accept e.g.:

                    -DBLAH=\"a string\"

                    and I couldn't figure out how to get that part working (which it does, just
                    fine, on Linux).

                    Enjoy,
                    ROn
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                      Ron Aaron wrote:

                      > I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                      > site:
                      >
                      > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                      >
                      > It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                      > to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you
                      > do if you want to use the perl or python interfaces. In which case, you
                      > will want to install the ActiveState versions of same:
                      >
                      > http://www.activestate.com/
                      >
                      > The patch to 'Make_ming.mak' is attached here;

                      I'll merge it in. It seems part of the previous patch is also needed.

                      > NOTE: I had to cross compile from Linux, because for some reason, the make
                      > on Win32 didn't accept e.g.:
                      >
                      > -DBLAH=\"a string\"
                      >
                      > and I couldn't figure out how to get that part working (which it does, just
                      > fine, on Linux).

                      Doesn't this work:
                      -DBLAH="a string"

                      I suspect the backslashes work differently on Windows.

                      13. You refer to going to the bathroom as downloading.

                    • Moore, Paul
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                        From: Ron Aaron [mailto:ron@...]
                        > The patch to 'Make_ming.mak' is attached here; NOTE: I had to cross
                        > compile from Linux, because for some reason, the make on Win32
                        > didn't accept e.g.:
                        >
                        > -DBLAH=\"a string\"
                        >
                        > and I couldn't figure out how to get that part working (which
                        > it does, just fine, on Linux).

                        Try "-DBLAH=\"a string\"" (with the outer quotes as well...)

                        Paul.
                      • Dan Sharp
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                          Ron Aaron wrote:

                          > I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                          > site:
                          >
                          > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                          >
                          > It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                          > to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you do
                          > if you want to use the perl or python interfaces.

                          Are you sure? I downloaded the file and tried to run it, but I get an
                          "Unable to Locate DLL" error that python20.dll could not be found the
                          specified path, and so the program will not load. I have perl 5.6 and
                          python 1.5.2 installed, but I figured if it couldn't find the correct
                          version of the python DLL, it would consider it to not be installed and
                          disable the python interface.

                          Dan Sharp
                        • Ron Aaron
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                            Dan Sharp <vimuser@...> writes:
                            >Ron Aaron wrote:
                            >

                            >> I have just uploaded a mingw32 compiled version of vim60k-win32 to my web
                            >> site:
                            >>
                            >> http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                            >>
                            >> It is compiled with Perl and Python (Dynamic!!!) support. You do *not* have
                            >> to have either perl or python installed to use the exe, but (of course) you do
                            >> if you want to use the perl or python interfaces.
                            >
                            >Are you sure? I downloaded the file and tried to run it, but I get an
                            >"Unable to Locate DLL" error that python20.dll could not be found the
                            >specified path, and so the program will not load. I have perl 5.6 and
                            >python 1.5.2 installed, but I figured if it couldn't find the correct
                            >version of the python DLL, it would consider it to not be installed and
                            >disable the python interface.

                            Alas, you've found me out! I had the Python and perl installed, so I didn't
                            catch the failure to really dynamically load.

                            I have just uploaded a *new* version, which is *really* dynamically loaded (!)
                            to the same place:

                            http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe

                            Also, I have had to redo my patches. Here are the new, improved patches,
                            against 6.0k *with* the dynamic perl/python patch from that fellow...

                            I have solved the cross-platform problem (e.g. the -Dwhat=\"string\" not
                            working on Win32). The solution is to write a temporary .h file (dyn-ming.h)
                            and include it in the if_python.c and if_perl.xs if using MINGW32. Thanks to
                            those of you who offered suggestions.

                            My make file is also updated. Here's the patches:
                          • Dan Sharp
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                              Ron Aaron wrote:

                              > Alas, you've found me out! I had the Python and perl installed, so I didn't
                              > catch the failure to really dynamically load.
                              >
                              > I have just uploaded a *new* version, which is *really* dynamically loaded (!)
                              > to the same place:
                              >
                              > http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe

                              That one works much better :) For me, the perl interface worked fine,
                              and it said the python interface was "disable" (the spelling needs to be
                              fixed on that message) since I only had 1.5 installed and it wanted 2.0.

                              Dan Sharp
                            • Ron Aaron
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 3, 2000
                                Dan Sharp <vimuser@...> writes:
                                >Ron Aaron wrote:
                                >
                                >> Alas, you've found me out! I had the Python and perl installed, so I didn't
                                >> catch the failure to really dynamically load.
                                >>
                                >> I have just uploaded a *new* version, which is *really* dynamically loaded (!)
                                >> to the same place:
                                >>
                                >> http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/gvim.exe
                                >
                                >That one works much better :) For me, the perl interface worked fine,
                                >and it said the python interface was "disable" (the spelling needs to be
                                >fixed on that message) since I only had 1.5 installed and it wanted 2.0.
                                >
                                >Dan Sharp

                                Good. You should get the ActiveState Python 2.0 to use with this gvim.exe.
                                If you use another version, I don't know if it will work (probably not!).

                                Have a good weekend,
                                Ron