Justify.vim

  • Alexander Wagner
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
      Hi!

      Don't know if this is a 6.0k issue or a justify-issue anyway
      maybe there's some solution arround. Justify doesn't like
      some characters. Something wired happesn if I try to
      justify text that contains e.g. the string "AT&T". As you
      may see here:

      Don't know if this is a 6.0k issue or a justify-issue anyway
      maybe there's some solution arround. Justify doesn't like
      some characters. Something wired happesn if I try to
      justify text that contains e.g. the string "ATjustify text that contains e.g. the string "AT&T". As youT". As you
      may see here:

      CU/2 (( In the beginning was The Word.
      Alexander Wagner )) And The Word was Content-type: text/plain
      Team OS/2 Franken (( -=[ Team OS/2 Germany #294 ]=-
      Please use only A.Wagner@... or A.Wagner@... for
      replies, even if some other addresses may appear. Thanks!
      --> Get my PGP-key with Subject: Request for PGP-Keys <--
    • c928400@student.dtu.dk
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
        [Sorry about the duplicate Alexander, forgot vim-dev, please respond
        there too]

        Thus wrote Alexander Wagner (A.Wagner@...) on [001101]:

        > Hi!

        > Don't know if this is a 6.0k issue or a justify-issue anyway
        > maybe there's some solution arround. Justify doesn't like
        > some characters. Something wired happesn if I try to
        > justify text that contains e.g. the string "AT&T". As you
        > may see here:

        > Don't know if this is a 6.0k issue or a justify-issue anyway
        > maybe there's some solution arround. Justify doesn't like
        > some characters. Something wired happesn if I try to
        > justify text that contains e.g. the string "ATjustify text that contains e.g. the string "AT&T". As youT". As you
        > may see here:

        Just popping in as the author here...

        In justify.vim near the end you will find the following lines:

        " Replace the line (brings the cursor to the line)
        let str = substitute( str, '\\', '\\\\', 'g')
        let str = substitute( str, '/', '\\/', 'g')
        let str = substitute( str, '\~', '\\\~', 'g')
        exec cur . 's/.*/' . str . '/'

        Try changing that to:

        " Replace the line (brings the cursor to the line)
        setline(cur, str)

        I don't have vim here (and a broken compiler :-( ), so I cannot test
        it myself.

        I don't know why setline() was not used in the first place, but the
        script is a couple of years old by now, so perhaps it was not even in
        vim then (along those lines, the three substitute()'s above should be
        escape()'s by now).

        I hope this does the trick,

        Peppe
      • DouglasPotts@spectral-sys.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
          From the looks of things, I assume that the '&' is getting expanded to:

          magic nomagic action ~
          & \& replaced with the whole matched pattern

          see :h sub-replace-special
          -Doug

          --
          *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
          Douglas L. Potts Spectral Systems, Inc. Url: http://www.bigfoot.com/~pottsdl

          "Alexander
          Wagner" To: "vim-dev" <vim-dev@...>
          <A.Wagner@Big cc:
          foot.de> Subject: Justify.vim

          11/01/00
          10:26 AM
          Please
          respond to

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
            Thus wrote Alexander Wagner (A.Wagner@...) on [001101]:
            > On Wed, 1 Nov 2000 18:58:11 +0100, c928400@... wrote:

            > Hi!

            > > Just popping in as the author here...

            > Thanks for that nice scirpt!

            Most welcome! It is always nice to know, that someone uses my
            script(s).

            > > " Replace the line (brings the cursor to the line)
            > > setline(cur, str)

            > This is what vim (6.0k alpha) said:

            > Error detected while processing function Justify:
            > line 151:
            > Not an editor command: setline(cur, str)

            Args! make that

            call setline(cur, str)
            exec line(cur)

            > BTW: I came across a minor issue when using blockquotes.
            > Sometimes your script counts a space at the end of a line as
            > char. So instead filling in an additional space within the
            > line it leaves the line one char to short. As it's only
            > cosmitics it's not "mission critical". Just FYI.

            A bug is a bug... :-)

            Can you provide me with an example where this happens?

            As all whitespace at end of line is stripped, I think it must be in
            the adjustment of the number of spaces in the line.

            Thanks for pointing out these errors.

            Peppe
          • c928400@student.dtu.dk
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2000
              Thus wrote Alexander Wagner (A.Wagner@...) on [001101]:

              > Hi!

              > Don't know if this is a 6.0k issue or a justify-issue anyway
              > maybe there's some solution arround. Justify doesn't like
              > some characters. Something wired happesn if I try to
              > justify text that contains e.g. the string "AT&T". As you
              > may see here:

              Indeed, not enough characters were escaped (in the old way of doing
              things).

              I also fixed problems with leading tabs and missing characters with
              'joinspaces' set (calculations were wrong).

              Attached is the new version, that should replace
              $VIMRUNTIME/macros/justify.vim

              Peppe