vim loops while suspended

  • Wichert Akkerman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
      Vim behaves a bit suboptimal if you suspend it: an strace shows
      that it enters a busy loop doing the following:

      --- SIGTTOU (Syopped (tty output)) ---
      --- SIGTTOU (Syopped (tty output)) ---
      ioctl(0, SNCTL_TMR_START, {B38400 opost -isig -icanon -echo ...}_ = ? ERESTARSYS (To be restarted)
      --- SIGTTOU (Syopped (tty output)) ---
      --- SIGTTOU (Syopped (tty output)) ---
      ioctl(0, SNCTL_TMR_START, {B38400 opost -isig -icanon -echo ...}_ = ? ERESTARSYS (To be restarted)

      (SNCTL_TMR_START is actually TCSETS, there is an overlap in ioctl
      numbering there).

      I can't help but think there has to be a better approach.

      Wichert.

      / Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool \
      | wichert@... http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |
      | 1024D/2FA3BC2D 576E 100B 518D 2F16 36B0 2805 3CB8 9250 2FA3 BC2D |
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
        Wichert Akkerman wrote:

        > Vim behaves a bit suboptimal if you suspend it: an strace shows
        > that it enters a busy loop doing the following:
        >
        > --- SIGTTOU (Syopped (tty output)) ---
        > --- SIGTTOU (Syopped (tty output)) ---
        > ioctl(0, SNCTL_TMR_START, {B38400 opost -isig -icanon -echo ...}_ = ? ERESTARSYS (To be restarted)
        > --- SIGTTOU (Syopped (tty output)) ---
        > --- SIGTTOU (Syopped (tty output)) ---
        > ioctl(0, SNCTL_TMR_START, {B38400 opost -isig -icanon -echo ...}_ = ? ERESTARSYS (To be restarted)
        >
        > (SNCTL_TMR_START is actually TCSETS, there is an overlap in ioctl
        > numbering there).
        >
        > I can't help but think there has to be a better approach.

        My Vim stays asleep...

        How did you start Vim? In the GUI mode Vim keeps working on things like
        blinking the cursor. In the console mode it should be asleep, but perhaps
        some library you linked with has some work to do.

        --
        The fastest way to get an engineer to solve a problem is to declare that the
        problem is unsolvable. No engineer can walk away from an unsolvable problem

      • Wichert Akkerman
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
          Previously Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > How did you start Vim?

          I cunningly used the magic phrase "vim".

          Wichert.

          / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience \
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
            Wichert Akkerman wrote:

            > Previously Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > How did you start Vim?
            >
            > I cunningly used the magic phrase "vim".

            Well, Vim sleeps tight for me. You'll have to find out why it doesn't do this
            on your system. Perhaps your computer is too noisy? You know how to use a
            debugger...

            --
            Every engineer dreams about saving the universe and having sex with aliens.
            This is much more glamorous than the real life of an engineer, which consists