RE: mysyntaxfile question

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2000
      Salman Halim wrote:

      > sorry; what i meant was that inside my _vimrc, i have the
      > following line:
      >
      > let mysyntaxfile = "$vim/user/mysyntax.vim"
      >
      > and that's the file it reads.
      >
      > i thought about copying *this* file into a directory pointed
      > to by my 'runtimepath' option and calling it 'syntax.vim'
      > (also tried 'mysyntax.vim'), in a similar fashion to the new
      > filetype.vim but it didn't work (hence my query).
      >
      > so am i to understand that the filetype mechanism has
      > changed but the syntax one hasn't? (i kinda got the
      > impression from the 'version6.txt' file in the doc directory
      > -- under the *filetypedetect-changed* section -- that *both*
      > mysyntaxfile and myfiletypefile were rendered obsolete.)

      The new mechanism works in another way, not by reading a file that you pointed
      to with mysyntaxfile in Vim 5.7.

      It's much easier now: Just drop the syntax file you want to use in your
      ~/.vim/syntax directory. If you only want to change the highlighting, drop
      the script in the ~/.vim.syntax2 directory. (see the 'runtimepath' docs for
      the directory name).

      There is no more need to add ":au Syntax" autocommands.

      --
      Emacs is a nice OS - but it lacks a good text editor.
      That's why I am using Vim. --Anonymous