60h: 'echo' problem

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2000
      Is this a problem with 'echo' or it's mine?
      Have this function:

      function! Echo(what)
      if a:what == 0
      echo "zero"
      else
      execute "silent edit " . expand("%")
      echo "one"
      endif
      endfunction

      'source' it in vim60h and excute:

      1. :call Echo(0)
      I can see 'zero' on the command line, what I'd expect.

      2. :call Echo(1)
      I'd expect to see 'one' on the command line, instead I see nothing,
      I believe the 'one' is flashing there but goes away, can't really
      say, all goes too fast.

      The only difference is the in the case '1' I am executing an edit
      command.

      If that's of any importance I have 'set ch=2'.
      What other settings could create this behaviour, which I think is
      not correct?

      What am I supposed to do to get the 'one' in the second case?

      ---Zdenek
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2000
        Zdenek Sekera wrote:

        > Is this a problem with 'echo' or it's mine?
        > Have this function:
        >
        > function! Echo(what)
        > if a:what == 0
        > echo "zero"
        > else
        > execute "silent edit " . expand("%")
        > echo "one"
        > endif
        > endfunction
        >
        > 'source' it in vim60h and excute:
        >
        > 1. :call Echo(0)
        > I can see 'zero' on the command line, what I'd expect.
        >
        > 2. :call Echo(1)
        > I'd expect to see 'one' on the command line, instead I see nothing,
        > I believe the 'one' is flashing there but goes away, can't really
        > say, all goes too fast.

        I do see the "one" and it stays there. Perhaps check your 'shortmess' option?
        Setting 'cmdheight' doesn't make a difference for me.

        136. You decide to stay in a low-paying job teaching just for the
        free Internet access.

      • Zdenek Sekera
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2000
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Zdenek Sekera wrote:
          >
          > > Is this a problem with 'echo' or it's mine?
          > > Have this function:
          > >
          > > function! Echo(what)
          > > if a:what == 0
          > > echo "zero"
          > > else
          > > execute "silent edit " . expand("%")
          > > echo "one"
          > > endif
          > > endfunction
          > >
          > > 'source' it in vim60h and excute:
          > >
          > > 1. :call Echo(0)
          > > I can see 'zero' on the command line, what I'd expect.
          > >
          > > 2. :call Echo(1)
          > > I'd expect to see 'one' on the command line, instead I see nothing,
          > > I believe the 'one' is flashing there but goes away, can't really
          > > say, all goes too fast.
          >
          > I do see the "one" and it stays there. Perhaps check your 'shortmess' option?
          > Setting 'cmdheight' doesn't make a difference for me.

          OK, so I take it it's something in my setup. I'll go after it.
          Can anybody reproduce the problem?

          ---Zdenek